Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious to know what peoples reviews are on the spacer lift vs the suspension lift. I currently have a stock 2011 Jeep Jk Sahara and want to add some little extras to compliment my jeep look nice with my 305/50 tires. Im noticing my jeep shocks are already rusted and one squeaks a little. So I'm kinda stuck in between just getting the 2"Spacer lift and buying new shocks or going with a 2.5 suspension lift.

My main concern is having factory or better handling and not the feeling that I'm driving in a roller coaster with all the bumps in the road.

Im only interested in the 2.5 inch lift at the most 3 inch lift.

Im never going off road Im mainly going for the look of having a good stance on my jeep. At the most I will be driving through the beach sand and small little ditches etc.

Would love to hear feedback from you fellow jeepers!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Spacer Lift = don't have the loot
Suspension lift = you do have the loot

In your case where you have a 2011 and you state that your shocks are on the way out a suspension lif makes sense. That's something you will likely have to replace anyway. I have the AEV 2.5 lift and its way better than stock times a million.

The only thing a budget spacer lift will give you is an amplification of your shocks on the way out....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spacer Lift = don't have the loot
Suspension lift = you do have the loot

In your case where you have a 2011 and you state that your shocks are on the way out a suspension lif makes sense. That's something you will likely have to replace anyway. I have the AEV 2.5 lift and its way better than stock times a million.

The only thing a budget spacer lift will give you is an amplification of your shocks on the way out....
Whats the price range for a average decent lift 2.5?

Good Justification

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I don't think they have to install it. My 2.5 Teraflax lift is around $1200 (lift, shocks, geo brackets, etc.) Great lift.

Essentially, spacers give you height and little else. You retain stock ride and handling, stock articulation, etc. Springs, good ones anyway cause it ain't worth talking about bad ones, give you height and often better handling and ride and more articulation.

Nothing wrong with spacers. Lot's of Jeeps run them. They are cheap and basically bullet proof. For a few hundred bucks you could lift you rig until you save money for your dream lift.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think they have to install it. My 2.5 Teraflax lift is around $1200 (lift, shocks, geo brackets, etc.) Great lift.

Essentially, spacers give you height and little else. You retain stock ride and handling, stock articulation, etc. Springs, good ones anyway cause it ain't worth talking about bad ones, give you height and often better handling and ride and more articulation.

Nothing wrong with spacers. Lot's of Jeeps run them. They are cheap and basically bullet proof. For a few hundred bucks you could lift you rig until you save money for your dream lift.
What brands would you say are considered to be the bad ones? Im hearing mixed reviews on them.
Also bullet proof? Would you recommend for me to just replace my shocks with another factory shock will getting the 2in spacer lift installed?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I am a true believer of the AEV lifts and would push you that direction.

If money is a driving factor, a spacer lift with shock extenders, when done properly, is a great affordable lift. I started out with one on my 08. Not counting wheels and tires, I was all in about $450 running 35 inch tires and wheeling it all over. The springs and heavy duty shocks that come on the rubicons and hard rocks are really good performers and readily available for free in many cases if you don't already have them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im curious to know what peoples reviews are on the spacer lift vs the suspension lift. I currently have a stock 2011 Jeep Jk Sahara and want to add some little extras to compliment my jeep look nice with my 305/50 tires. Im noticing my jeep shocks are already rusted and one squeaks a little. So I'm kinda stuck in between just getting the 2"Spacer lift and buying new shocks or going with a 2.5 suspension lift.

My main concern is having factory or better handling and not the feeling that I'm driving in a roller coaster with all the bumps in the road.

Im only interested in the 2.5 inch lift at the most 3 inch lift.

Im never going off road Im mainly going for the look of having a good stance on my jeep. At the most I will be driving through the beach sand and small little ditches etc.

Would love to hear feedback from you fellow jeepers!
I have what is sometimes referred to as a "budget boost," which is pretty much a lift that's not extremely expensive and may not be top of the line for certain terrain. I've taken mine throug tons of mud and rocky terrain and it's handled just fine. I got a 3" suspension lift with blocks and shocks. It's made by supreme suspensions and it ran me about $200. When it comes to the Chrysler warranty I'm not sure if it voids it or not but it may be something to look into if you're not doing any extreme off-roading. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I am running an Old Man Emu suspension lift (coil springs and shocks). Mine is my DD so road manners were important. Also replaced my oem track bars with adjustable track bars, new end links, JKS quick discos. I went with the heavy duty springs from Old Man Emu as I am running a full width JCR front bumper and skid plate and those both weigh quite a bit. Before my lift my front end had dropped a good 3/4" in the front due to the weight of the bumper and skid plate.

I am super happy with my lift. It was expensive but now that I know more about jeeps and lifts, etc. I am happy that I went with someone's advise to lift my jeep in this manner. I wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does the dealer have to install the 2" Mopar lift or can any shop do it and retain the factory warranty?
I recently made a lot of phone calls and research on this. Including talking directly to chrysler warranty claims department. They highly encourage lift to be installed by a jeep service dependent. (Average quote for install about $800) I am currently running a teraflex spacer lift and they told me I could easily be denied for any and all claims. (Except technology) I was minutes from purchasing a lifetime warranty but decided to make these calls, I am glad I did. If you have ANY interest in buying an extended warranty, I would go mopar 2 inch lift with dealer install (about $2,000 total) long story short - chrysler is not afraid to deny warranty claims and they have the loop holes to do so.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I recently made a lot of phone calls and research on this. Including talking directly to chrysler warranty claims department. They highly encourage lift to be installed by a jeep service dependent. (Average quote for install about $800) I am currently running a teraflex spacer lift and they told me I could easily be denied for any and all claims. (Except technology) I was minutes from purchasing a lifetime warranty but decided to make these calls, I am glad I did. If you have ANY interest in buying an extended warranty, I would go mopar 2 inch lift with dealer install (about $2,000 total) long story short - chrysler is not afraid to deny warranty claims and they have the loop holes to do so.
Really? Has this actually happened? I find it hard to believe they would deny a warranty claim on say your AC because you installed a budget boost.

If that's the case I've already blown my warranty by installing a Pioneer stereo, non-jeep grab handles, short antenna and non-jeep seat covers. Now since I ordered the Alpine speakers that were taken off a previous jeep, does that keep the warranty or no?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Really? Has this actually happened? I find it hard to believe they would deny a warranty claim on say your AC because you installed a budget boost.

If that's the case I've already blown my warranty by installing a Pioneer stereo, non-jeep grab handles, short antenna and non-jeep seat covers. Now since I ordered the Alpine speakers that were taken off a previous jeep, does that keep the warranty or no?
Let's try this again, since i knew this comment was coming. Any and all powertrain/drivetrain. You know, the expensive stuff?

·
Registered
60 Posts

Just trying to pass on information I found very valuable after investing time to talk to 3 jeep dealerships finance, service and parts personnel. As well as a very honest chrysler warranty representative. I was hoping the trolls wouldn't come out...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Just trying to pass on information I found very valuable after investing time to talk to 3 jeep dealerships finance, service and parts personnel. As well as a very honest chrysler warranty representative. I was hoping the trolls wouldn't come out...
Not trolling. Have a 2016 and about to buy an extended warranty.

If aftermarket parts automatically eliminate all warranty service, I'd like to see that in the writing of the warranty.

I 100% agree that if an aftermarket item failed and that caused damage to its own part or other parts of the jeep, a warranty claim would be denied. For example, if my Bartach seat covers stain/bleed on the seats of my jeep, jeep will not cover those seats. But if my AC went out, warranty should still cover.

Otherwise, just putting new wheels and tires on your jeep would eliminate all warranty since the entire jeep rests on them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a lift/spacer question. I currently have a Mopar 2 1/2" lift but I want to get a couple more inches in height. What would be the downside to installing 1-2" spacers with the existing lift?

·
Super Moderator
13,050 Posts
OP:

I rode and wheeled on a 2.5" budget lift for years without issue. The ride was pretty close to stock.

Then I replaced it for a 2" Mopar lift and the Jeep rides much better.

If all you want is looks and are happy with the stock ride, you can't go wrong with a spacer lift for a fraction of the cost.

·
Super Moderator
13,050 Posts

If aftermarket parts automatically eliminate all warranty service, I'd like to see that in the writing of the warranty.

I 100% agree that if an aftermarket item failed and that caused damage to its own part or other parts of the jeep, a warranty claim would be denied. For example, if my Bartach seat covers stain/bleed on the seats of my jeep, jeep will not cover those seats. But if my AC went out, warranty should still cover.

Otherwise, just putting new wheels and tires on your jeep would eliminate all warranty since the entire jeep rests on them.
The sad reality is that honoring a warranty is up to the dealer's interpretation.

There are thousands of threads about dealers denying warranty work for a variety of reasons, and each case can be debated endlessly.

Personally, I try to strike a balance between Mopar and aftermarket mods, and when in doubt, I ask my dealer before proceeding.

Best you can do is work with a mod-friendly dealership. The Service Manager at my dealership is an avid Jeeper and wheels his own CJ and, on occasion, he has recommended me mods that would make 4 Wheel Parts, Extreme Terrain and Quadratec giddy.

In fact, my own dealer recommended I get a beefier aftermarket steering stabilizer, steering rod and drag link to handle the heavy 35" tires on my Rubicon. When I asked if it would compromise the warranty, his reply was simply "Nah".

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

The sad reality is that honoring a warranty is up to the dealer's interpretation.

There are thousands of threads about dealers denying warranty work for a variety of reasons, and each case can be debated endlessly.

Personally, I try to strike a balance between Mopar and aftermarket mods, and when in doubt, I ask my dealer before proceeding.

Best you can do is work with a mod-friendly dealership. The Service Manager at my dealership is an avid Jeeper and wheels his own CJ and, on occasion, he has recommended me mods that would make 4 Wheel Parts, Extreme Terrain and Quadratec giddy.

In fact, my own dealer recommended I get a beefier aftermarket steering stabilizer, steering rod and drag link to handle the heavy 35" tires on my Rubicon. When I asked if it would compromise the warranty, his reply was simply "Nah".
Well said and I'll agree. But realize there are also thousands of threads of warranties denied on 100% stock jeeps. And there are thousands of people who have warranty service honored who have modified their jeep so much it doesn't look like a jeep any more..

Beside IMO people look at a warranty/extended warranty in the wrong way (most anyway). It is not about (IMO) what jeep will or won't pay for. A warranty or extended wananty is a risk management tool. And each person has their own risk tolerance. So it becomes a comfort level "thing". If the warranty gives you comfort it has done its job. IMO people who buy an extended warranty and then worry every day what it will or won't covered have not gained a benefit of the warranty.

But I think is more trolling to say "get a lift and your warranty will denied" without any further qualifications.

And you are right, when I picked up my special order jeep, I asked about a lift. My salesman walked me to the service manager who essentially told me they "could" do it, but they prefer not to as they are always so busy. Gave me the name of a local shop they "does a good job" and said they carry the same lift that is rebranded Mopar.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
What brands would you say are considered to be the bad ones? Im hearing mixed reviews on them.
Also bullet proof? Would you recommend for me to just replace my shocks with another factory shock will getting the 2in spacer lift installed?
Instead of calling out the bad ones, I'll give you the tested, proven brands that most WF members run.

Teraflex
Rock Krawler
AEV
Metal Cloak

There are probably others that are good to go but those four brands offer solid kits with quality springs. They are mostly complete (some like RK require bumpstops, for instance). Teraflex, IMHO, offers the most complete kit for a basic 2.5 inch spring lift.

They come with bump stops but not a track bar. You don't need a track bar at 2.5. Teraflex in their kits with shocks or without (but not the kit with shock spacers) comes with their rear track bar relocation bracket. It's probably the best one you'll find on the market. Great kit. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.