Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now my 35" tires are rubbing into my control arms effecting my turning radius. I got some spacers to fix the problem but haven't put them on cuz I'm not sure if its a good or safe idea to put them on if I'm gonna b doing lots of mudding, crawling, and bouncing around. Any advise? bouncingaround.Anyadvise?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have the same problem but one day I was follow a buddy out of the mud and down the interstate and his front driver side wheel went flying across the lanes come to find out the spacer studs stripped so then I changed my mind

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
You could run a 15" wheel and not have to think about it. I sold my Rubicon Alcoas and have been happy ever since.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You should be fine running spacers as long as you make sure that your tires are rotated frequently and always, always check to ensure that your spacers are still torqued down. I have run spacers before and I have also had them losen on me. I now make sure that I check routinely. Best option is to have the correct backspacing for your tire size. You can mark your lugs to ensure that they aren't moving.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good idea on the lug marking. I may do that after all and it's not like there all that hard to take off. Thanks guys

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your suppose to use red locktite on spacers so they won't loosen. If your running 35" on stock rims the hub centric spacers made in the USA BORA are good or spidertrax. 4.5" Back spacing is what you want for 35"or 37" tires with a 2.5-3"+ lift. Under 4" BS is more strain on axles balljoints. Stock JK is 6.25"BS. 1.5" spacer for 37", 1.25" for 35". Wider stance gives better stability especially on JKU.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you ever decide to run spacers, the rule of thumb is to make CERTAIN you have correct thread lug nuts to tighten spacer down with!

After 100 300 & 600 miles, pull the wheels off and tighten the lugnuts again, even pressure all around. Doing this, I've never once had problems running spacers...used on Jeeps, Rangers, F150's, Lincoln's and more.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Get ya some Pro Comp steelies with 2.5" backspacing for $60 each, and don't worry about spacers falling off. It gives it a mean stance and better stability, too.

I know it stresses parts out a little more, but I haven't noticed any accelerated wear yet. And all of these parts are wear items that get replaced anyway, so what if you have to replace them 1 or 2 more times in the time period that you own the jeep?

Edit: just realized this thread was almost a year old...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Get ya some Pro Comp steelies with 2.5" backspacing for $60 each, and don't worry about spacers falling off. It gives it a mean stance and better stability, too.

I know it stresses parts out a little more, but I haven't noticed any accelerated wear yet. And all of these parts are wear items that get replaced anyway, so what if you have to replace them 1 or 2 more times in the time period that you own the jeep?

Edit: just realized this thread was almost a year old...
No thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts