Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone could get back to me with a good answer from experience I would very much appreciate it. My question is what's the difference? Lift kits are more expensive, but if I want 33s on my jk, can I just purchase spacers for a cheaper cost than a lift kit? Is there any cons of having spacers that make them less effective or less desirable than a lift kit?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I installed the readylift spacer kit and my jeep has a pretty bad death wobble when breaking from high speeds. I would ask for help but it's a lemon. Just letting you guys know

·
Registered
50 Posts
You don't even need a lift to fit a 33 inch tire. Keep that in mind.
The way I look at it, if you're not adding any weight in bumpers/winch/tire carrier, spacers are just fine.
I am looking at a Barricade bumper and winch which will add 100#, to my 2dr sport (15). My springs are the lightest - 13's. Research says go to 19/60's (?). If I plan to do "basic" off-roading, does a lift add value here or would just the shocks get me what I need for balance and stability?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
If anyone could get back to me with a good answer from experience I would very much appreciate it. My question is what's the difference? Lift kits are more expensive, but if I want 33s on my jk, can I just purchase spacers for a cheaper cost than a lift kit? Is there any cons of having spacers that make them less effective or less desirable than a lift kit?
Spring lifts include springs which are more expensive than the spacers. Also most spring kits are higher lift and it takes more parts, also making them more expensive.

The Teraflex 1.5 leveling kit is very popular and has no drawbacks. It's also a great combination with 33" tires.

Teraflex Wrangler Leveling Kit 1155200 (07-15 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/pics-of-teraflex-leveling-kit-w-33s-190879.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm running 35" tires and with out a leveling kit my tires rub my front inner fender . Actually they currently still do rub. But either way my lift kit helps for clearance of my tires off road as well

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
I installed the readylift spacer kit and my jeep has a pretty bad death wobble when breaking from high speeds. I would ask for help but it's a lemon. Just letting you guys know
I don't think a spacer lift is going to cause death wobble. If I understand correctly, death wobble is usually track bar.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Looks like from your avatar pic that u have a 2 door. If you don't want spacers, go on eBay and get a set of coils off of a 4 door. I replaced my 13/56 with a set of 17/59 JKU take off coils on ebay for $60. I got an additional 1.25" of lift. I also have been running 2" spacers with those. I have no complaints with that combo. Works great offroad. A little less flex on the rocks than having 3" aftermarket coils, but I still get factory ride and 3" of lift for a little over $300 bucks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just put the AEV 2 inch spacer lift on my 2 door and the ride is the same just 2 inches higher its a really nice kit I got it at quadratec for 269.99 shipped.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just put the AEV 2 inch spacer lift on my 2 door and the ride is the same just 2 inches higher its a really nice kit I got it at quadratec for 269.99 shipped.
Ditto, just put on my AEV 2" spacer kit with 35's. About 4hrs of work to install in the garage with a couple helping hands. Ride feels the same as stock.

I wouldn't worry about upgrading to stiffer springs just because of 100lbs of bumper. If you had front/rear steel bumpers, a winch, body armor, heavy spare tire, etc. you might consider stiffer springs, but 100lbs is nothing. That's like having a child ride as a passenger, you won't notice a difference. I would be worried that adding stiffer springs would negatively impact your ride quality. My Jeep is my daily driver and I don't want to feel like I'm getting punched in the kidneys every time I drive over a crack in the road.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
The stiffer springs that you get in a spring lift kit will handle weight better, but if you're just installing the bumper and you get spacers the correct length to counteract the sag from the bumper you're just fine. As with any height adjustment you'll want to check bump stops and shock length after you change the ride height.

One down side to tall spacers is that you loose some up travel but if you're not doing a lot of wheeling, or if your shocks/tires/bump stops limit up travel more than the spacers then you're ok.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Ryan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Everyone has an opinion, this is mine.

I have a 2013 10A jeep with low miles. I purchased 2.5 inch spacers with brake line extension, rear track bar correction and stabilizer arms. I went with that lift because it was cheap and I retain the factory ride. I had no issue with bump steer or wobble for 600 miles. Once I took the JK for a 20 mile trail ride the crappy jeep front suspension parts loosened up, as a result I had death wobble. Wobble would have happened with springs or spacers. I like Rubicon express and added their track bar which reduced my wobble to bump steer. In the spring I will add high steer, springs and replace the ball joints. Springs will stiffen the ride more otherwise the spacers were fine.

This is from what I read,
A lifted JK will eventually have bump steer or wobble as the ball joints wear out prematurely. I will know about the ball joints first hand this summer.

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
Everyone has an opinion, this is mine.

I have a 2013 10A jeep with low miles. I purchased 2.5 inch spacers with brake line extension, rear track bar correction and stabilizer arms. I went with that lift because it was cheap and I retain the factory ride. I had no issue with bump steer or wobble for 600 miles. Once I took the JK for a 20 mile trail ride the crappy jeep front suspension parts loosened up, as a result I had death wobble. Wobble would have happened with springs or spacers. I like Rubicon express and added their track bar which reduced my wobble to bump steer. In the spring I will add high steer, springs and replace the ball joints. Springs will stiffen the ride more otherwise the spacers were fine.

This is from what I read,
A lifted JK will eventually have bump steer or wobble as the ball joints wear out prematurely. I will know about the ball joints first hand this summer.
Have you done anything to correct your caster? Your drive would probably improve a lot with a set of geometry brackets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts