Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through a bunch of threads related to spare carriers, but had a few additional questions.

Right now I have 17" La Paz wheels (weight of 28.5 lbs) and 35" Maxxis Big Horns (65.1 lbs)

Grand total = 93.6 + whatever the spare extender weighs.

I currently have stock bumpers and probably don't have the funds to get anything aftermarket any time soon. My gate looks like it has started to bend/twist...the top looks to be sticking out a bit with the bottom in just a bit. The gate still closes correctly and I am not sure if this is normal or not.

Assuming I can't get bumpers, what options do I have to relieve the tension on the gate? I know you get what you pay for but I am hoping to not spend upwards of a grand for something. I have looked at the Smittybilt 2743 SRC Oversize Tire Carrier but that appears to still put all the weight on the gate? I am also looking to get something that doesn't rely on the bumper for support and doesn't stick out too far.

Is this all pie in the sky? Or do I have any options? I am hoping to spend between $150 and $300. Anything outside of bolt-on I will need to pay for labor.

TIA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts