Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
So I bought my 2000 TJ a couple months and don't have a spare key I've called around for a spare and the cheapest I could find is 75 dollars how hard is it to program a spare key?

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you've got two good keys now, not hard. Just follow Peepers' link.

If you only have one transponder key the only way to program the new spare is to pay the dealer to do it. Last time I checked it was about $70 for the key and $60ish for the programming fee from the dealer. :eek:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My extra keys were about 50 cents each. Sometimes low tech is good :D

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Pft, 10 cents a key here at the local hardware store, you 04 guys are getting ripped off. You couldn't pay me to install those SKIM devices in my Jeep.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Pft, 10 cents a key here at the local hardware store, you 04 guys are getting ripped off. You couldn't pay me to install those SKIM devices in my Jeep.
My 04 uses the 10 cent keys.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I just had one made last week as I only got one with the Jeep. It cost $60 for key and program together.
Got it done at a locksmith, not a dealer...........

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just had one made last week as I only got one with the Jeep. It cost $60 for key and program together.
You got a deal! I should check into a spare again now that I'm not in Wawawawawashington State. My brother-in-law does work for the local Dodge/Jeep dealership....

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was in the same situation. Wal-mart cut me a new one and programmed it for like 15 bucks. Just check around for a Wallyworld wiff the new key cutting set up. Saved a ton and works just fine.

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Also, check Ebay for a replacement key blank. Sometimes you can find them on the cheap. Talk to a local locksmith,some of them cut and code for less than half the price a dealership will charge.

Another thing you might try would be to ask the company you bought your Jeep from to help you out. Kind words and begging might get it done for you at cost.

I always wonder WHY vehicles have only one key. Where does the second one go?
Whenever I trade one in they usually get the two factory keys, a couple of extra remotes and a spare emergency key.

This reminds me though, I SHOULD get another one as a back up to my back up. Just in case.

I just checked eBay, good price for my 06, you might get that lucky too, have a look!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just made a plain "dummy" key and hid it under the hood ,just in case i lock the keys in.
I thought about doing that, and then I realized with the soft top it's pretty hard to lock your keys in.... :rolleyes::doh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do I know if my Jeep has the SKIM?

Just bought a 05 Rubicon, dealer only had one key, how do I know it has a chipped key or this SKIM system. Kinda hoping it doesnt, like the cheap keys....

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Just bought a 05 Rubicon, dealer only had one key, how do I know it has a chipped key or this SKIM system. Kinda hoping it doesnt, like the cheap keys....
gray key is a SKIM system. Black key is not

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
I always wonder WHY vehicles have only one key. Where does the second one go?
Whenever I trade one in they usually get the two factory keys, a couple of extra remotes and a spare emergency key.
Not everyone is as considerate as you are. When I traded in my mini-van for my JKU, I forgot the spare key. I took it by the dealer the next day.

Some don't bother or they may have lost the spare. If the Jeep was traded in at a dealer, they would most likely cut a second key. If it was traded in at another brand new car dealer, maybe not. If it was traded in or sold to a used car dealer, most likely not.

The second key was one thing I was going to insist on when I bought the Rubicon, but I didn't have to as it was already with the sales package.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts