Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yeah, new smokin' tires, big new spare hanging, literaly, off the back.

The spare comes within about an inch and half of the rubber stops that should hold it secure against the tailgate. I know this is causing stress since the weight is not distributed even and is all focused on the carrier.

Any fixes? (other than a new bumper with swing away tire carrier)

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
2018 JLUR on tons and 40's.
6,852 Posts
I've seen people use fender washers as well. Both seems to work. The fender washer method is best used with some black paint to cover up the bling bling of the coating.

·
Registered
180 Posts
That extra space is so you can get even bigger tires!:D

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bri.

I've seen people use fender washers as well. Both seems to work. The fender washer method is best used with some black paint to cover up the bling bling of the coating.
um.... what'er fender washers? Are they the same as regular washers?

That extra space is so you can get even bigger tires!:D
No no no..... I'm already having to hop out.

Yup, next upgrade........

it never ends........:D
no nO NO... No more, not right now NO NO!!!!! :D

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
2018 JLUR on tons and 40's.
6,852 Posts
Fender washers are large outside diameter washers with a smaller hole. generally about 1.5-2" OD with about 0.25" hole.

Edit: But the method on 4x4xplor looks much better when finished
agreed it does look better to cut the extra bumpers but a harder install. If I were to go one way or the other I would cut the rubber bumpers for a clean look.

This is a fender washer.

Paint it black or color match them to the tub and they are harder to see when stuffed behind the tire :)

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Measure the distance you need to fill, making sure you get the average of all three bump stops. Go to Wal*Mart, get two rubber mallots. cut them to fill the void. Drill holes through your mallot pieces. Go to your local auto parts store, and get longer bolts (bring one of the original ones with you, to get right thread pattern). Now place your cut mallot pieces against the metal, using your factory stop, on top, (cause they have metal washers, already inside of them. Now put longer bolt through both pieces, and tighten them down good. When you get all three of them done, in this manner, put your spare tire back on the mount, which should be sitting firmly, against your new, extended, stops. Total cost, about 4 dollars.

No Painting involved, as the rubber mallots, are black, same as your original bump stops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts