Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first jeep and am loving it. I have the factory spare on the back and am wondering if I can actually use it as a spare with the 33s I have without causing damage? If not, should I remove it? What would I put in place of the spare or just go without?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you have an open diff you can run the spare to get you home. Spare or no spare is personal preference. I for one have one at all times.

edit: Full sized spare

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you have an open diff you can run the spare to get you home. Spare or no spare is personal preference. I for one have one at all times.

edit: Full sized spare
But run at a slower speed with open diffs, cause the spider gears will be spinning fast as one tire is going faster then the other. Most spider gears cant take constant spinning at high speeds, since they have no real bearings in them, being that they are just made to spin while turning or for corners.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Find a used tire shop or look on craigslist for a good used spare tire, that way you dont have to pay for a brand new tire.

I run with a full size spare.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a spare that I have never had to use. But, if I were to remove it, I would probably have a flat the first time out.

·
Registered
684 Posts
But run at a slower speed with open diffs, cause the spider gears will be spinning fast as one tire is going faster then the other. Most spider gears cant take constant spinning at high speeds, since they have no real bearings in them, being that they are just made to spin while turning or for corners.
true that thanks

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
With an off sized spare, it's easier to drive home slow, than walk.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I run a full size spare (35 inch) and have slashed a sidewall on the trail twice in 24 years of wheeling. Even though it has been a rare occurance to have a flat, I wouldn't go without one.
As far as a smaller spare, it would be better than nothing and would be similar to having a donut spare on a normal car. Just don't run it on an axle with a limited slip diff.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you dont carry a spare, at least carry a plug kit and pump. You can fix pretty big holes with plugs. We put 7 plugs in a sidewall and it worked for many months after that. Not ideal, but it was cheap and fast.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Get rid of the spare and get another 33. That's what I did and got the spare from a tire store for almost nothing. Mine now sits in the back area tied down.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
My luck is such that I really *need* to have a spare, and I use a full sized one. I am anal retentive, so my tire rotation includes the spare. They wear evenly and last longer with the 5th added to the mix. I have a matching rim, too, because when they do not match it looks stilly. I used to have a mismatched spare rim, so I know.

My off-roading frequently happens spontaneously. I see an interesting trail head off the country road on a nice day. I have nowhere to go. So I hit the trail to see where it goes. So I like to have the spare with me at all times, along with my limited recovery equipment. (I will get a winch soon.)

I am too old to be walking miles back to civilization. So the spare stays and it will be fully roadworthy and of the right size. I am too "mortal" now to risk it!

My advice is to save up and get a very good, used spare that is the same size as what you are running, even if it is not the same tread. Get a matching rim. Trust me on that one. Tie it down in the back until you can afford to upgrade your carrier.

One day, when you have a nice carrier setup that likes 33" tires, you will want a better spare. Get a new one at that time. Maybe a set of five new meats would be in order. But I would not leave the spare at home as that limits your fun if you are on the road and see a really tempting trail off the road. If you are prepared to wheel then you can wheel whenever you want, even if it is unplanned.

Good luck, regardless of what you end up doing.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
I run a full size spare (35 inch) and have slashed a sidewall on the trail twice in 24 years of wheeling. Even though it has been a rare occurance to have a flat, I wouldn't go without one.
As far as a smaller spare, it would be better than nothing and would be similar to having a donut spare on a normal car. Just don't run it on an axle with a limited slip diff.
^^I agree with all of this. I ran the stock size spare back when I was on 32's. Better than nothing in a pinch.

Since then, I have always carried a full size spare, and have always managed to find a nice spare on the local 4x4/Jeep websites. I found a 35" spare at one of the local tires stores out back. $15 until a better one popped up on-line.

I slashed a sidewall deep in the woods last summer. I would of been S.O.L. because none of the Jeeps I was running with had the same wheel bolt pattern.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was always under the impression that it didn't matter if your spare was smaller size. I figured if all of these regular cars are driving around with tiny donuts in their trunks, a smaller spare tire on a Jeep wouldn't matter. But now that it's been explained about the spider gears spinning faster because of the size difference, it makes sense. I'm just wondering why it's OK for all the other cars on the roads with open differentials but not Jeeps with the same

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Um, have a spare. Is this really a question ? Sorry but, have a spare.
Did I mention, have a spare ?
So, go ahead and have a spare now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts