Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the past few weeks I heard weird noises coming from the back end of the Jeep, after a bit of investigation, we found this:

the spare tire carrier cracked/broke. I'm carrying stock Rubicon tires on on 2014 Rubicon X...

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
If you didn't hit anything, I would say someone banged into your spare tire and drove away.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Interesting.
With no other damage showing on the tailgate I'm lost on how that happens short of a defective mount.

·
Registered
122 Posts
for the past few weeks I heard weird noises coming from the back end of the Jeep, after a bit of investigation, we found this: the spare tire carrier cracked/broke. I'm carrying stock Rubicon tires on on 2014 Rubicon X... Anyone else had a similar issue?
Funny thing, someones truck backed up into our spare tire one time on our 2008 rubicon 4door, he was nice enough to tell us, that looks exactly like what happened to ours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't look like there's been any hits, I do carry a Spare tire mounted Yakima bike rack (my mountain bike is only 24lbs), but there was no signs of a hit on the tire or the rack... and I'm sure I didn't hit anything myself...

·
Registered
122 Posts
It doesn't look like there's been any hits, I do carry a Spare tire mounted Yakima bike rack (my mountain bike is only 24lbs), but there was no signs of a hit on the tire or the rack... and I'm sure I didn't hit anything myself...
Not really sure what it could be, I'd say faulty carrier

·
Registered
806 Posts
24 lbs of bike plus the rack added to the ~ 75 lb stock (what mine weigh)
could be the problem. They say 80 lbs is the limit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yep. Had exact same issue. I was also running bfg mud terrains when it happened.
Now I'm using a poison spyder bumper with tire carrier. Problem solved.

I should say, when that happened I was off roading every weekend, and drove a lot of rough roads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts