Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this question has been asked a million times. My search feature kept error'ing out or I would not need to inquire I am sure.

This weekend I am going to a 285 75 17 on a 17x9 Trophy wheel. Total weight is around 85 lbs. I assume I need to replace or adjust my spare tire carrier, correct? Can the stock one hold 85 lbs without issues? I highly doubt I will put any larger tires on the Jeep in the future.

Can I get away with just using one of the mounts that moves it up a bit? Or should I go ahead and replace it with the bulkier ones that mounts at the hinges, etc? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe the stock carrier weight limit is 85lbs so your right at the limit, fit wise you should have no problems. If your just driving your Jeep around the city or on the highway you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Reactions: Blue Baby Sound

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would upgrade at least the hinges. I have a 2018 Rubicon with stock tire and I could hear some noise on the tailgate going over bumps and tire started to seem a little pushed towards the tailgate didn't look straight, so I decided to upgrade to the Teraflex hinge and problem solve everything looks straight and no noises, also now I can add a Rotopax mount or Maxtrax carrier

·
Registered
646 Posts
I put golf balls between the tire and spare bumpers on tailgate. Takes up the space perfectly and keeps vibes down on carrier. Until I got the TF setup anyways.

Reactions: membrain

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the responses. Regarding the Teraflex hinge, is it still made? I see the Mor/ryde one for $150, but have not had any luck locating the Teraflex one.

·
Super Moderator
15,973 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I thought they were referring to just a HD hinge, not the entire carrier. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Super Moderator
15,973 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our definition of hinges differ. Apparently I was misinterpreting the previous message. The link you provided is the spare tire carrier kit minus the piece that moves up the tire and is adjustable, etc. I thought there was just the hinge piece. Similar to this - Heavy-Duty JK Wrangler Tailgate Hinge - MORryde Products
Thanks for looking. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Just for reference here is a shot of the TeraFlex hinge with stock carrier. This is just before I cut off the third brake light. I run a 35 this way...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
do you have any suggestions for installing the hinge? I am thinking of picking up one my self

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
do you have any suggestions for installing the hinge? I am thinking of picking up one my self
The TeraFlex one is super easy. I spent more time looking for a properly sized 'shim' to support the tailgate for when I took of the factory hinges, then I did installing the TeraFlex hinge. I just followed the instructions. It really is easy.

Here is a shot after trimming the factory third brake light and installing a new one atop my backup camera.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread, with a semi-unrelated question, but figure it's an important one.

So I should be receiving my TF HD hinge tomorrow; just the hinge, am going to keep using the stock tire carrier. I am running my stock 75AE wheels with 255/80/17s, and as it sits on the carrier now it is butted up against the 2 stock bump stops nice and tightly.

Once I put on the TF hinge, should I still be ok with just the one bump stop? As stated, it butts up nice and tight, being stock wheel and a same-as-stock width tire. Will that one bump stop be enough to keep it steady and vibration free, based on how it still currently fits snugly? Just wondering, as I see @jeep63 above has (re)added his own additional bump stop, which looks like a good idea. No offroading for me right now either, all highway DD at the moment...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts