Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spare Tire Carrier Upgrades for 305 (34") Tires on Stock Rubicon Hard Rock Wheels???

Getting 305/70r17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s installed on my 2015 JKU Hard Rock. Stock 17x7.5" wheels.

I've done some searching and cannot find a consensus on what to do with the larger spare tire. Pretty sure the tailgate can handle it, as the new tire is only a few lbs heavier and should weigh in around 87-88lbs for wheel and tire. I won't be off-roading much, and will just pull the spare if I do.

Clearance is the real issue, I think. Do I need a spare tire carrier relocation bracket, such as this one? https://www.quadratec.com/products/12008_0091.htm

Or will I not have any clearance issues with the Hard Rock rear bumper? I've also seen some people running a 1.5" wheel spacer for clearance instead of the relocation bracket.

How about these Daystar extended bump stops? https://www.quadratec.com/products/16053_520.htm

From just looking at the current spare tire, I would think the wider 305 on the stock wheels would be pushed closer to the bump stops, not farther away (hence the possible need for the spacer).

Finally, will I need a third brake light relocation bracket?

·
Registered
128 Posts
you could do the teraflex hinged carrier with their carrier. or do the spacer if it's the cheaper option you want.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
you will be fine you will have to trim the factory rubber bumpstops but that is it. I ran the 285/75-17 without issues as far as fitment goes. It will come close to the indent I the bumper and close to the brake light but will fit fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you will be fine you will have to trim the factory rubber bumpstops but that is it. I ran the 285/75-17 without issues as far as fitment goes. It will come close to the indent I the bumper and close to the brake light but will fit fine.
So you think no need for a relocation bracket or spacer, just trimming the rubber bumper stops? The 305s are a good inch wider than the 285/75's, so I was thinking it may be tight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any other thoughts on this? Tires go on tomorrow, so I was going to overnight any parts I might need today.

I'll probably try to mount it on the stock carrier and then modify it from there as needed. I can get some .5" wheel spacers locally if I need to get some more clearance.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have 305/70/17 BFG KM2s on my wife's 14 mounted on factory 17s. You will need to trim the rubber tailgate tire stops. The 305 will most likely fit vary tight in the bumper's tire recess if the specs on the HR steal bumper are similar to the standard plastic OEM bumpers. On the plastic OEM bumper I had to loosen two bolts on the backside of the bumper to get the tailgate to open and close without rubbing between the tire and bumper. I found it also helped with fit to keep the PSI down around 25-28 on the spare.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 305/70/17 BFG KM2s on my wife's 14 mounted on factory 17s. You will need to trim the rubber tailgate tire stops. The 305 will most likely fit vary tight in the bumper's tire recess. I had to loosen two bolts on the backside of the bumper to get the tailgate to open and close without rubbing between the tire and bumper. I found it also helped with fit to keep the PSI down around 25-28 on the spare.
Thanks! Sounds like a little small wheel spacer may push the wheel out enough for better clearance. My Hard Rock bumper also may have a little more room for the larger tire. Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Thanks! Sounds like a little small wheel spacer may push the wheel out enough for better clearance. My Hard Rock bumper also may have a little more room for the larger tire. Guess I'll find out tomorrow!
A wheels spacer will help for sure. I added a 1/4" spacer to my wife's 14 to provide better clearance between the tire and CB antenna. I totally forgot about it, thats how well it is working out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't keep this set up long. I swapped these out for 20" Fuel on 35x12.50 and upgraded the carrier. I suspect the factory carrier would have done just fine for everyday use, though.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I finally got a spare tire and wheel. After having a 2nd tire get slashed. Kept 2nd tire that was slashed, it’s not as deep.

Question you said you put 285/75 on stock carrier, said it fits fine.

What about the weight. The trail grapplers weigh 66.4 plus 27 pound salta wheel, so looking at 93.4 pounds.

You think that would hold ok, weight wise and rattle wise.
How long did you have that 34/11.5 tire on stock carrier.

Otherwise I am looking at 700 for terraflex carrier.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The 305 fit without any modification aside from cutting down the rubbers.

View attachment 1969330
Those tires are 63.6 and stock wheel is 25, so you got 88.6 pounds.
I have trail grapplers at 66.4 and 27 pound saltas, at 93.4 pounds.

Have you felt strain on door, heard any noises rattles, seen anything with hinges.

I am only concerned with the weight part effect.
Fine with figment as they are 11.3 wide tires.

Cheers.

·
Registered
745 Posts
How has this held up? Want to do the same but will the stock carrier hold up? Thanks!
I didn't keep this set up long. I swapped these out for 20" Fuel on 35x12.50 and upgraded the carrier. I suspect the factory carrier would have done just fine for everyday use, though.
Started postin before getting to the end.

Anyways, did you try it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a set of Nitto Trail Graplers in 315s with 17” wheels on a stock carrier. It’s a bit heavy at 100lbs (based on shipping weight). I’ve had them on for 7 months and it is holding up fine. I may upgrade as I want to add a Yakima spare tire mount bike rack on the back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts