Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Wrecktrician
7,349 Posts
Well the problem with a 33" tire isn't just the clearance, the weight is even more crucial. It will destroy your tail gate hinges.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts

·
Wrecktrician
7,349 Posts
sorry to interupt but i got a quick question
will a stock tire carrier be able to hold a 32 inch tire ok?
It'll hold it, but for how long? My father-in-law has his there with no problems yet. I got a friend who mounted a 33" to his gate and in a couple of years his gate cracked and hinges bent.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
My entire tailgate is bent from mounting a 33 on it. I would either find a way to mount it inside the Jeep or save up for a good quality tire carrier.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I had a 33 on my last TJ for three years with no problem using the stock mount. Maybe some have had bad luck with it but I have never met anyone who did. The Olympic mount I have now has mytire high and out away from the bumper. I'll snap a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chris, that'll be helpful. I'll go ahead and get a tire and wheel ordered, cuz to start with, I didn't think it was gonna work. I think the tailgate failure is probally on Jeeps that see more off road use. I can see where that heavy tire bounceing on the gate could be a problem. I'm still looking if there are any other ideas.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I got my new tires and wheels what, 2 months ago? and it is already hard to shut the tailgate. I only drive 4 miles a day, with only 3 long drives since, and only 1 mild wheelin' trip (no rocks, no big bumps, etc). I am going to make a bumper/carrier this fall, but before the next trip, I'm gonna take the spare off and put it where the back seat should be.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I wouldn't run anything larger then a 31 on your tailgate unless you have a spare tailgate and set of hinges around.

JJ has it right if you can. Way cheaper and the quality is known if you fab one up.

Because time is a thing I don't have much of these days the carrier I am budgeting for is from Or-fab, but Bettop makes one also that would work. The bolt to the body and are reinforced on the inside of the body. Having body armor on the corners with also strengthen this setup. The best top is the cheaper of the two but I decided on the Or-fab because of the added gas can option and my personal dealings with the quality of there other products.

Or-Fab
http://www.orfab.com/tirecarrier.htm

Best top
http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=28

·
Registered
51 Posts
OK, I got the mini OE spare tire still, and would like to get a match for my 33's. I use the stainless double tube bumper, so most carriers are out of the question. This is the only thing I found that will work, but not sure if it's worth a crap. Open to any suggestions before I order.
Thanks, Mack
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
i'd say if you want to "try" that design out, till you get some more money for a bumper tire carrier.. screw spending $65 on 2 "brackets".... go to ace hardware or any hardware get some 2"x2" tubing cut a couple of 10" pieces drill 4 holes and test it out to get by.... cost you about $10....

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
get rid of the tube bumpers and get a bumper/tire carrier in the rear.

smittybilt makes one that you can get for $315 shipped.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
[/ATTACH]My 31's plus the Smittybilt I Rack were too much for the door and began to tear it, I installed a Dirtworxx swingaway with room for a jack and 2 cans. After a pretty good summer test, no problems jj
Oops, second picture is WHY I have a jeep!:facepalm::dance:

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts