Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i thought i would tap into your wealth of knowledge...I was wondering what tricks/methods any of you may have done to mount an oversized tire...It is only a 33 inch tire and stock sport wheel, however, pretty heavy. I would prefer not to replace the bumper. I have seen a few options without replacing the bumper, Anyway, please let me know what you think. I have a 2011 jk 2 door. thanks

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
I had my 33 mounted to my stock tire carrier and I see tons of "mall crawlers" that way too, so you may be ok to mount it there. Now that I have 35's, I went with OR Fab's tire carrier. I went this way for the fact you don't need a rear bumper with it, paying $900+ dollars for a carrier/bumper. You can get this unit for about $475 in various forms, slim, rotopax carrier and jerry can carrier.

-Dan

·
dirt road inspector
3,005 Posts
Since you ask about 33"s on a stock carrier, sure it will work. That's what I have and can still get my fingers between the tire and bumper.
Been thinking of putting a bump stop there to help carry the added weight.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Along with the Daystar bumpstops, I added an adj tire support-

Saves the hinges ! and the whales :rofl:

My tire/wheel weighs about 83 lbs-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Sometimes I hang a gas can or a bicycle on the spare so I use a dual hitch extender or you could use an adjustable hitch to support the weight.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clarify, i know it will fit/work on the stock tire carrier...I had it on there and i simply think its too heavy for the stock mount...I do 90% street driving taking it off road as much as i can, however, i think it would eventually wear out my hinges and maybe screw up the sheet metal.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Well i thought i would tap into your wealth of knowledge...I was wondering what tricks/methods any of you may have done to mount an oversized tire...It is only a 33 inch tire and stock sport wheel, however, pretty heavy. I would prefer not to replace the bumper. I have seen a few options without replacing the bumper, Anyway, please let me know what you think. I have a 2011 jk 2 door. thanks
You can do AEV's tire carrier only (no bumper replacement) for $799. Pricey, but it's frame mounted, has a greaseable pivot, and will handle anything you throw at it: AEV tire carrier and bumper

T

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Well all good info, but....

I purchased new bumpers way to fast :redface: Purchased Rampage Recovery Bumpers F&R. Am very much satified with the -F- bumper with my WARN M8000 mounted to it!

But I am now trying to sell my -R- Rampage Recovery bumper, so that I can get one with a "swing out tire carrier" :nonono:

Live and learn :facepalm:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Heh Heh as an "Innocent" bysitter, I've noticed a LOTTA you guys, after you've ordered a 2012 JK/JKU, you start reading this forum and STOCKING YOUR GARAGE WITH "STUFF"--

Only to find out upon jeep arrival, you may have been to overanxious--

Try to remember another thing WE"VE always been pushing--take your time and learn to handle the jeep "FIRST", then start modifying it--

Getting advise and opinions is important when your starting a new adventure, but try to keep common sense/logic-uppermost !

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
:D Heh Heh as an "Innocent" bysitter, I've noticed a LOTTA you guys, after you've ordered a 2012 JK/JKU, you start reading this forum and STOCKING YOUR GARAGE WITH "STUFF"--

Only to find out upon jeep arrival, you may have been to overanxious--

Try to remember another thing WE"VE always been pushing--take your time and learn to handle the jeep "FIRST", then start modifying it--

Getting advise and opinions is important when your starting a new adventure, but try to keep common sense/logic-uppermost !

-------------------------
More wisdom from "Yoda" :angel::D

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I8up said:
I have a 35" tire on the stock mount and it works fine. I would prefer a rear bumper with a tire carrier though

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: I'm afraid you're living on borrowed time !

I have a 35" tire on the stock mount and it works fine. I would prefer a rear bumper with a tire carrier though
The stock spare tire holder isn't designed for the size and weight of a 35" tire/wheel, if yours has gone 5/10/15 thousand miles, with out tailgate/hinge/latch degrading, then you are very lucky-

I would never recommend that practice to any jeep owner !

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Your practical answers are DayStar bumpstops (though they're backordered everywhere) and perhaps a lower support like Jimbox. That'll probably do it unless you've got a really heavy tire. If you need more, the Smittybilt tire carrier posted above should handle it (this).

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
JIMBOX said:

The stock spare tire holder isn't designed for the size and weight of a 35" tire/wheel, if yours has gone 5/10/15 thousand miles, with out tailgate/hinge/latch degrading, then you are very lucky-

I know it's a bad thing to do but it's all I got right now. I put the spare behind the second row of seats while off roading

·
Registered
704 Posts

Dang. I'm getting 35s put on today and tomorrow, with just some kind of spacer for the spare.

Does anyone have any experience with these?: Garvin Industries Rear G2 Series Bumper with Tire Carrier for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Don't get me wrong, sometimes you can do a "NON-RECOMMENDED mod and live happily everafter-

I know it's a bad thing to do but it's all I got right now. I put the spare behind the second row of seats while off roading
Dang. I'm getting 35s put on today and tomorrow, with just some kind of spacer for the spare.

Does anyone have any experience with these?: Garvin Industries Rear G2 Series Bumper with Tire Carrier for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Guys have put 37" tires on the spare mount/w support underneath--it'll all depend on how you drive, how hard you hit curbs/rocks/potholes--

All I'm saying is it's notta good idea--and we all do what we want/have to do at the time--just try to plan on either spare support or swingaway tire carrier-

I've had several of those and other than mass appeal--they work--sometimes are a PITA, but they save hardware !

Good luck

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I was in the same boat as you, didnt want to spend a boat load of $$$ on a new bumper. Im running 35" and used this mount. Works great for me

Smittybilt 2743 - Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier in Black for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
I've been using this Smitty Built spare tire mount on my 2012 with 35" KM2s and it worked perfectly. I received a rear bumper with tire carrier for Christmas so will sell my 4 month old Smitty Built carrier if anyone wants it. Absolutely nothing holds the weight of the spare tire more solidly than this carrier.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts