Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I've removed the spare tire and carrier from my tailgate due to a 2-3 inch crack forming on the gate. Where can I get a plate without a license plate holder that fits my 88 YJ? I'm only finding panels with plate holders and also with multiple holes that also fit other models. The YJ tire carrier was attached with 3 bolts on top and 2 bolts on the bottom. My YJ is all chromed out so I'd like to keep it chrome or stainless. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
No such thing has ever existed. You could always put polished button head stainless bolts in all of the extra holes if you are going for aesthetics.

Reactions: vmxwinn

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Get creative. Mrs. Lucky found the flag at a yard sale. It's 5/16" plastic and fits nicely between the original bolts.
If I had any chrome on my Jeep, I might consider stainless bolts.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hi All. I've removed the spare tire and carrier from my tailgate due to a 2-3 inch crack forming on the gate. Where can I get a plate without a license plate holder that fits my 88 YJ? I'm only finding panels with plate holders and also with multiple holes that also fit other models. The YJ tire carrier was attached with 3 bolts on top and 2 bolts on the bottom. My YJ is all chromed out so I'd like to keep it chrome or stainless. Thanks for your help.
Wouldn't it be wiser to replace the tailgate to avoid the further cracking and future rust issues?

I don't understand why folks run around without a spare tire. Get yourself a body or bumper mounted tire carrier. Unless you like sitting on the side of the road or trail with a flat tire.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I could never grasp why our tailgates were so flimsy especially when they expect a spare tire to be mounted hanging off it. .The tailgate on both my YJ's have pretty much self disintegrating from just a 31" tire. Cracks all over and rattles enough to make me crazy. Id bet lots of us actually do have that spare, but its in back strapped down and ya dont see it. ;)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I could never grasp why our tailgates were so flimsy especially when they expect a spare tire to be mounted hanging off it. .The tailgate on both my YJ's have pretty much self disintegrating from just a 31" tire. Cracks all over and rattles enough to make me crazy. Id bet lots of us actually do have that spare, but its in back strapped down and ya dont see it. ;)

The biggest tire they were designed to carry were 26"-28" my jeeps carried them fine for many years. It only gets bad when you start trying to mount oversized tires on them.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
I carry a can of Fix-A-Flat in my console. I have a cell phone and AAA. I also replace my tires way before they're worn out.

The only time I carry a spare is when I go off road or on a longish trip. And then, it's on the rear floor along with whatever other gear that might be handy for that particular trip.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
And here, with 270k on my yj my tailgate is fine...
Had 29's on it when I got it in 2007, went to 31's right away, and 33's a couple years later....

I did notice a couple cracks in the spart tire bracket about 2010 so I welded it back up and adjusted things so the tire was tight against the bumpers and no more cracks @10 years later....

·
Registered
532 Posts
The biggest tire they were designed to carry were 26"-28" my jeeps carried them fine for many years. It only gets bad when you start trying to mount oversized tires on them.
Agreed to some extent, but the difference in a 31 and 28 in weight isn't much. Not enough IMO to go from fail proof to self destruct.. The guys running 33 or 35" that I can see.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Agreed to some extent, but the difference in a 31 and 28 in weight isn't much. Not enough IMO to go from fail proof to self destruct.. The guys running 33 or 35" that I can see.

I was wondering what the weight difference was so i looked it up. A 31x10.50 BFG KM3 weighs 51 pounds while a stock P215/75R15 all season Goodyear weighs 26 lbs. So a 31" Mud Terrain weighs twice what a stock tire weighs.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Goodyear/Wrangler-SR-A-215-75R15.htm

https://tiresize.com/tires/BFGoodrich/Mud-Terrain-TA-KM3-31X10.50R15.htm

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Now make that stock tire an optional 225 75 15 goodyear wrangler on a steel rim and put that km3 on an aftermarket aluminum rim and I bet the percentage of gain is a LOT less

·
Registered
968 Posts
My 30 year old OEM spare states 'Temporary Limited Use Only' or some such.
It is bigger than a modern donut but not like a regular tire, does have a steel rim.
It's only back there because I like my spare tire cover.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Good point... I think a "full size spare" was actually an option...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Good point... I think a "full size spare" was actually an option...
Although tries have gotten tougher its pretty sad that an spare is an extra with a lot of new vehicles. Gotta laugh sometimes when you really scrutinize the list of "extras" on a new vehicle window sticker. Many years ago a friend of my dads bought a new CJ and the passenger seat was listed as optional equipment offered at extra cost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts