Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still pretty new here. So, I just put Teraflex level kit, tires and wheels on. I'm choosing to not put spare on back for multiple reasons. Don't have to invest 600-1,000 or more on carrier, hinge support, rear bumper. Weight saving. Now, I did get a 5th tire/wheel but keeping in garage for when off reading, long trip.

I'd like to have people's input who have or are currently doing it. I'd like this to not turn into people getting into pissing match over why you should or shouldn't carry one. I'm keeping air compressor, slime. Roadside Assistance seems to work. I'm sure people will say have fun waiting, on rare chance it happens I'll wait and live.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I dont typically carry my 35" spare during my daily driving to and from work. It gets thrown in the back when i go wheeling or on longer trips. The entire reason i do it is because i am too cheap to buy a carrier right now and would rather spend money on other parts (skids, sliders, regearing). At some point ill get the carrier and ill start carrying the spare everywhere. Until then...roadside assistance, friends who can bring me my spare, tire plug kit, etc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a Freedom Top and was think about deleting the spare. But how do you keep the rear window locked to keep thieves from getting in?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Coach, just so I'm clear, you're choosing not to carry your spare while you're driving around town, figuring if you have a flat you'll be able to deal with it, right? Did you remove the tire carrier, too?

As far as road trips, I'm thinking you must have a JKU because a spare tire's going to eat up what little room there is in the back of a JK.

I'd feel kind of naked without my spare on the back. And I'm not sure I want a dirty rubber tire stinking up my interior.

But hey, if it works, good on ya mate!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I have a Freedom Top and was think about deleting the spare. But how do you keep the rear window locked to keep thieves from getting in?
Rear window is impossible to open with a hard top unless the tailgate is open. Taking off the tire carrier is irrelevant.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coach, just so I'm clear, you're choosing not to carry your spare while you're driving around town, figuring if you have a flat you'll be able to deal with it, right? Did you remove the tire carrier, too?

As far as road trips, I'm thinking you must have a JKU because a spare tire's going to eat up what little room there is in the back of a JK.

I'd feel kind of naked without my spare on the back. And I'm not sure I want a dirty rubber tire stinking up my interior.

But hey, if it works, good on ya mate!
I'm planning on removing it and just adding tramp stamp. Yea, I have 2 door, so honestly I'd probably have to make choice regarding pack ultra light or go spare less. Wish I could have stamp and throw carrier on in one second. Been spending on other mods so good hinged carrier is bs right now.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
i have been running without a spare 37 because i didn't have the cash for the tire or the carrier(an $800 investment for just the stinkin spare!), and that's the only reason. to me, my jku just hasn't looked complete without the spare tire.

i also want it on there to ADD some weight to the back. the more weight, the smoother it will ride with the lift. and it might even out the rake a bit better, since i have the 12k winch on the front.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I mostly run the Kentrol spare tire delete. Simple to install. If I'm going on a day trip, I just throw the spare in the back. For longer trips, it only takes about 30 min to put the stock tire carrier back on (I'm running 285/70-17 MT Atz's at probably 90lbs a tire/wheel). Probably borderline on weight but as it's not on very long, I don't worry too much

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be honest, I want the spare but it pisses me off at thought of paying that much cash for carrier. I run 305/70/17. My set up weighs around 87-90.

Thinking about Teraflex hinged carrier but extremely pricey!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Running the TF HD hinge + OEM carrier which should handle 33s. The similar RR or tactik HD hinges are less expensive alternatives. The TF HD hinge was under 390 last year

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Running the TF HD hinge + OEM carrier which should handle 33s. The similar RR or tactik HD hinges are less expensive alternatives. The TF HD hinge was under 390 last year
My Toyo AT2 Extreme's are 33.9" and 63 lbs. I couldn't decide between the 33 and 35 so I split the difference. I also like the wider tire compared to 285 I had on another vehicle.

TF HD is now 455 on Amazon, Extreme Terrain. I feel like with my weight, I probably need the hinge and carrier both, 665. The thought of paying 665 to hold a tire I'll likely not use other than for rotations irks me.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My Toyo AT2 Extreme's are 33.9" and 63 lbs. I couldn't decide between the 33 and 35 so I split the difference. I also like the wider tire compared to 285 I had on another vehicle.

TF HD is now 455 on Amazon, Extreme Terrain. I feel like with my weight, I probably need the hinge and carrier both, 665. The thought of paying 665 to hold a tire I'll likely not use other than for rotations irks me.
I'm currently running my stock 32s, but in anticipation of eventually going to 33s I went ahead and bought the TF HD Hinge Carrier. But like aggrex, I'm still running my OEM carrier. Got the TF a few months ago for just under $430 from Extreme Terrain via the Forum discount.

I haven't made up my mind whether I'm going to replace the OEM carrier when I go to 33s but it seems fine for now. The hinge carrier is the more expensive piece so at least I got that out of the way.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did the spare tire delete kit and haven't looked back.

I'm in and out the back almost everyday. Much easier to deal with the lighter tailgate.

If I do ever get a flat, the wife and spare are less than 20 minutes away most days. (Faster than AAA)

I took mine off mostly for better rear visibility. The bike rack fits in the rear receiver much better, no extension needed and on really long trips, I'll eventually make a tire mount that slips into the rear receiver.

The kit included a LED license plate light and third brake light. The most difficult piece was running wires for the LED license plate light. That was about 2/3's of my installation time.

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts
Remember, the spare tire also acts to absorb impacts. There's a current thread on here where the Jeep driver was sitting at a stoplight and the lady behind him ran into him. It damaged her import car's grill and hood but no damage to his Jeep.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If the expense of a Terraflex spare carrier is the reason your not carrying a spare another option is a spare tire reinforcement kit from MorRyde. Cost is about $350 if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for input everyone, I just bit bullet and pulled trigger on Teraflex HD with carrier free shipping for 598.50 out the door. 665 on Amazon and Extreme Terrain, 710 on Quadratic. Still very pricey, but I'll have peace of mind and no flat back. Even the wife thought it looked silly without spare, she said it's a Jeep! I think long term I'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Personally, I think that's a good choice. You'll still be enjoying the benefits of the TF carrier well after the pain in your wallet's gone away.

Just Empty Every Pocket

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went with the large steel bumper approach for the texting commuters. Steeply sloped, full width. If they hit me hard enough to seriously damage it, a spare tire wouldn't do much more to protect me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like idea of changing my own damn tire, something I've done multiple times. Infact, I've never called a AAA type company to change tire, why start with a Jeep? Overall, I like the look as well as function of tire on rear. Not to mention, my Rhino warlord wheel with Toyo on back will look sweet. No regrets. Sending tramp stamp back to Amazon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts