Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am wanting to remove my spare tire and relocate my license plate to the tailgate and delete the stock license mount from the driver's side. I found this solution...

https://www.quadratec.com/p/kentrol...led-10-17-jeep-wrangler-wrangler-unlimited-jk

with this plug for the stock mount...

https://www.quadratec.com/p/kentrol/license-plate-delete-plug-07-17-jeep-wrangler-jk

BUT I am curious if there are any other solutions out there that may be better OR are a bit more plug-n-play (less cutting and crimping of wires) than the Kentrol. I do like the simple, clean look that the above provides though.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
7 Posts
For a direct comparison, there are no other products out there that offer a "plug-n-play" method for both reverse light and brake light. They will all require some wiring.

Don't be afraid of wiring. It's easy. Just take your time and follow the instructional video. If you have any questions, feel free to call Kentrol's tech support. They'll help you through it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply! I went ahead and ordered both parts and they should arrive tomorrow. I'll post back once it's all installed. Thanks again.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Since you are taking off the license plate bracket anyways, cut the female connector off that and splice it to the new piece that way it is still plug and play. And you havent modified the tailgate harness at all. Thats what I did when I relocated my license plate & third brake light to my spare.

Edit: Although after looking at the pics a little closer, it appears there are only two wires (one for 3rd brake, one for license plate light) and it grounds through the body...

That will take a little creative wiring to make it a truly plug and play solution...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great idea! I will experiment with that and see. If not, I guess a little splicing never hurt anyone :)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have the Kentrol and it works great. My only complaint is the 4 wires are TINY!
I ran a jumper wire from the tail light (it's a pita to get to if you have the side mounted sub) and routinely switch from the mounted spare to the Kentrol plate

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Spare Tire Delete w/ License & Lights

I saw a jeep with an awesome solution that I want to copy.

He had something similar to the kentrol bracket above, but instead of the plug he had had a similar sized rectangular backup aux light. AND a matching one on the other side for symmetry. Of course the other light would require a penetration but it looked CLEAN...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the Kentrol and it works great. My only complaint is the 4 wires are TINY!
I ran a jumper wire from the tail light (it's a pita to get to if you have the side mounted sub) and routinely switch from the mounted spare to the Kentrol plate
That's exactly what I would like to do; switch back to my spare from time to time and/or when I sell / trade.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
That's exactly what I would like to do; switch back to my spare from time to time and/or when I sell / trade.
It's not hard to do. All of the wiring can be spliced in to existing wires (don't disconnect anything completely!) Then it's a matter of just removing the Kentrol plate and putting the tire carrier back on. Takes me about 30 min total, but I've done it a dozen times. The most complicated part is putting the old license plate bracket back on (screws at the bottom are a pain) but I just ordered a spare tire plate mount that should let me leave that off when I'm running with the spare.
If you're wondering why I switch so often, I despise the spare tire location. But, sometimes I travel or go places I can't be easily reached and will add the spare back. If it's a short or solo trip, I'll throw it in the back but can't do that with a lot of luggage

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Jason_M. Good to know :)

I actually have it all mounted / wired up now but eventually I will have to figure out some sort of quick-connect / harness so I can switch back to my spare carrier (I'll probably add a spare mounted plate holder so I can leave the factory one off).

The one thing I would be curious about is a solution to change the color temp of the LEDs. Right now they are very white/blue and I would like to shift them back inline with a more standard auto light color.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately there is no way to change the LED color. The only thing you could do is reduce the brightness of them by throwing a resistor in line.

For a license plate bracket alternative, if you have an aftermarket rear bumper w/ d-ring mounts, we have these:

Shackle Mounted License Plate Bracket

No provisions for lighting though, if you needed to drive at night.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That shackle mount looks cool. Thank you for sharing.

I think I'm going to try tinting the white/blue LEDs with an amber gel to warm them up a bit. I will report back with my results.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts