Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the stock 27 or 28" tire on the back right now...im running 32's and when they wear out (it will probably be at least 2 full years) i'll probably go up to 33's...anyway...i haven't been wheelin much lately and probably won't too much until a couple months so im just wonderin if i should just leave the small spare or get the full size...

the only thing i don't care for is that the full size spare would probably weigh down the back end...i guess i could get a lighter aluminum wheel since i'll probably switch to aluminums on my next set of tires...

so i say all this to ask if i should bother to get the full size and if my stock tailgate can handle it...if not then is there something for a bigger spare...i've seen a few things but not too sure about them...i wouldn't mind going to a swing away rear bumper but i can't find any for less than $300 which is good as its gonna get i guess.

feel free to suggest any upgrade or swing away rear bumper...or whether i should go up to the full size spare or keep the dinky one

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
You know what? I've recently ran into this situation with my 35's. After 3 years my stock tire carrier has given up the ghost. My response to this was to put the spare in the garage and get a plug kit.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if u get a flat though how would u go about airing up after you plug the tire? i don't have onboard air or a portable air compressor and don't really care to get either...

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Well for the last week I've been kicking around the idea of ditching my tire carrier and mounting my spare in the cargo area. I've been looking at a Tuffy Cargo Box and possibly mounting the spare on top of the box. That would free up the rear end and give me a secure place to store stuff. I'm thinking the entire cost should be less that $ 500 and I'd kill two birds with one stone. Something like this may work for you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
i pretty much have the same problem, well, its not really a problem cause i have an on board air system. It has worked me and others wanders on the trail . The cheapest option u have is to get urself a cheap cigarette lighter compressor and a plug kit like 1BLKJ said. i say just take off the spared tire completly if u dont have a full size spare.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well for the last week I've been kicking around the idea of ditching my tire carrier and mounting my spare in the cargo area. I've been looking at a Tuffy Cargo Box and possibly mounting the spare on top of the box. That would free up the rear end and give me a secure place to store stuff. I'm thinking the entire cost should be less that $ 500 and I'd kill two birds with one stone. Something like this may work for you.
i like this idea...that would be pretty awesome having the spare in the back...except for it would do away with the backseat...so forget that...i use my backseat every once in a while...

check your PM

·
Registered
138 Posts
spare tire...

is anyone currently running a spare 32'' tire with steel wheel on the stock back carrier? if so, how is the tailgate holding up. i have been thinking bout getting the adapter to fit larger sized tire but am a little iffy about the wear and tear to the tailgate...

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
PM'd ya back. ;)

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Just find someone on craigslist with a used 32" tire for sale... I mean, its just a spare. I have BFG M/T's on the XJ(31's) and a used Yokohama mud tire for a spare that has about 30-40% tread left on it. Its spare thats there just in case, don't need to be expensive, just a band-aid.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Yeah I've seen your junk too...the whole thing looks like a band-aid. :eek:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :flipoff:

Just find someone on craigslist with a used 32" tire for sale... I mean, its just a spare. I have BFG M/T's on the XJ(31's) and a used Yokohama mud tire for a spare that has about 30-40% tread left on it. Its spare thats there just in case, don't need to be expensive, just a band-aid.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I ran the same way when I first had my 35's. Just had a BFG take off from Discount and had it mounted for 20 bucks. Hell it's just a spare. Now I have an actual spare and two more Claws in the garage if I need them.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
true but its gotta be with a wheel also...and i have the same question that tiger22 posted.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
is anyone currently running a spare 32'' tire with steel wheel on the stock back carrier? if so, how is the tailgate holding up. i have been thinking bout getting the adapter to fit larger sized tire but am a little iffy about the wear and tear to the tailgate...
I have had a 32 on my stock wheels and so far I have no wear and tear on the tail gate...im not using and adapter either...just shaved down the black rubber thing behind the wheel and put a few washers between the mount and the brake light

·
Registered
489 Posts
im running a 33 inch spare tire on my stock tire carrier. I have welded it back together about 4 times. Tailgate is holding up though. I wouldnt put larger than a 31 inch tire.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
:eek: How about a spare that is maybe 2" smaller? It's just a spare, right? A 31" spare would be allright on the front in 2wd for a little bit, wouldn't it? (Help me out here, please, same dilemma)

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Im not sure if you have a luncjbox locker up front if its a good idea, but idn it just seems like disaster to me, but i have the same deilemma,

i think it would be fine for the street though

1 - 20 of 24 Posts