Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 wrangler with stock 16 x 8 Jeep wheels with BFG All Terrains 31 x 10.5 with spacers all around. I took the spare off the other day to clean it up and I noticed that it pushes on the three rubber stops pretty good, to the point that it had left three healthy indentions in the tire itself. I also notice the tire (again a 31 x 10.5) is touching the plastic arm that holds the brake light up top. None of this would bother me too much but a friend with a 06 wrangler came by the house with aftermarket 32's on the spare and there is like a 2 tp3 inches of room between the tire and the plastic arm touching to inlcude the three rubber tire mount stops - I'm not sure why mine is touching, pressing on these things, do I need a spacer on the spare tire mount? Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question, its just bugging me :pullinghair:

·
Registered
71 Posts
if the tailgate seems to close normally (i.e if you don't have to slam it extra hard to latch), then I probably wouldn't worry about it. You want the tire fairly snug against the snubbers, especially the lowest one mounted to the tub. If the tire wobbles while driving down the road, that can be very hard on the tailgate hinges. Your friend likely has aftermarket wheels with less backspacing, which moves the tire farther out, similar to what a spacer would do. But if your friend's spare is not touching the snubbers at all, that doesn't sound good to me, unless he has an aftermarket bumper-mounted spare tire carrier.

If you still feel that your tire is too tight against the snubbers, you could try a small spacer, maybe 1/4" or 3/8", but definitely don't space it out where the tire is not against the snubbers

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I had a similar issue after going to a larger tire. Stock configuration, the lugs were too short to put the lug nuts on. After market bracket put the tire too far away from the snubbers. So I added a 1/2 piece of wood behind the bracket giving me enough lug bolt to mount the tire against the snubbers. The top of the wheel pressed against the tail light bracket like you describe so I added a few washers to two bolts closest to the tire to tilt it away from the tire.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Or you could just shave down the snubbers and scrap the brake light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or you could just shave down the snubbers and scrap the brake light.
Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments - maybe shaving them down about half of their thickness so they still touch and do the job is a good thing. Thanks for pointing out that the tire shouldn't be too far away so it bounces around as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts