Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm really scratching my head looking at all of these over sized spare tire carriers/bumpers ect. I know a lot of people say don't go with the relocation brackets because the tailgate just doesn't have the strength to hold a mounted 35 inch tire. Is a whole new bumper really my only option?

So with that being said what do you guys with 35's run? All these products are making my head spin.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
35" tires are just too heavy and bulky for the tailgate. They will destroy your tailgate off road with will all the bouncing around. However, if you always stay on the pavement the stock carrier will work for a while and even longer if you use the relocation brackets.

The best solution is to use a bumper mounted carrier but they are more expensive but not as expensive as replacing your whole tailgate.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nope a new bumper is not your only option. You can buy a tramp stamp, or Amazon has an over sized tire carrier made by Smittybilt that will allow you to place a 35-37" tire and also allows you to use the stock bumper.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
Nope a new bumper is not your only option. You can buy a tramp stamp, or Amazon has an over sized tire carrier made by Smittybilt that will allow you to place a 35-37" tire and also allows you to use the stock bumper.
While I prefer the Teraflex, my build expenses have added up quickly. I have the same concerns as OP, Do you know if there is a way to "Lock Down" these tires/ rims on the Smittybuilt? It doesn't appear to use 1/2" 3 lug threads. I would hate for my $600 wheel / tire to get stolen. I guess the only plus side would be what is someone going to do with just one of my rims? If theft occurs, guess I could search Craigslist and buy it back for $100. LOL

PS. I already bought the tire relo (a bit premature purchase) and waiting for my rims and lift to arrive, so I am running stock at the moment and quite frankly am concerned to install it based on feedback. Will be running 20x12's on 35''. Not sure of the total weight.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
35" tires are just too heavy and bulky for the tailgate. They will destroy your tailgate off road with will all the bouncing around. However, if you always stay on the pavement the stock carrier will work for a while and even longer if you use the relocation brackets.

The best solution is to use a bumper mounted carrier but they are more expensive but not as expensive as replacing your whole tailgate.
I I've heard good things about the repo carriers but like you've said the tailgate just can't handle the weight over a long period of time. I agree that it looks like buying a new bumper is probably the best option, but i'm having a hard time justifying it being I probably won't go off road that much (daily driver). Rear bumper sure are pricey too. Another thing I'm not a fan of is carrying all that extra weight.

I've actually looked into taking the spare off and relocating the license plate. to its spot. I know not a lot of people do it and i like the look I'm not against it totally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts