Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not talking about the 3rd brake light.
on my 98 tj, I tried to mount my spare (OEM RIM) with the new 31 tire on it but it doesn't fit. I end up removing the rubber stop (4 of them) and then added washer on the 3 "bolts" that hold the rim in place. for some reason I dont like it.

should I put spacers between the mount and the tail gate and cut some of the rubber stop to make it fit?

how did you guys do it ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the exact same problem. I had a 31 put on mine. I just removed the rubber spacers and said that Be fine. I haven't had a problem with it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the exact same problem. I had a 31 put on mine. I just removed the rubber spacers and said that Be fine. I haven't had a problem with it.
your tire doesn't touch the hinges ? mine were, thats why I added the spacers. now I have about 1/2 " gap between the gate and tire. but I'm kind of worry that the vibrations, after a while, would put too much stress on the mount and / or gate

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
There are bracket extensions you can buy or you can get offset rims like most of us have. I have a 33" tire on mine.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm guessing you put 31"s on stock rims. My 31" fit great, no mods needed. But that is likely because I have 4" backspace on Soft 8 wheels.

Stock wheels have more backspace (5.5 I think), so the wider, not necessarily taller tire is eating up extra space.

FWIW Soft 8s are made in the USA. You can get 15x8s from Jegs for under $50 each shipped to your door. This will help with clearance while turning also. Not to mention look good.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm guessing you put 31"s on stock rims. My 31" fit great, no mods needed. But that is likely because I have 4" backspace on Soft 8 wheels.

Stock wheels have more backspace (5.5 I think), so the wider, not necessarily taller tire is eating up extra space.

FWIW Soft 8s are made in the USA. You can get 15x8s from Jegs for under $50 each shipped to your door. This will help with clearance while turning also. Not to mention look good.
thx for the info, the soft 8 are on the whish list but it would be way after xmass.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts