Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing a set of 18x9 aftermarket wheels w/ 275/70-18 tires for my 2015 JKU Sahara. Most of the wheels I'm considering have about 4.5" backspacing.

Am I correct in assuming that a wheel with these specs when mounted on the factory spare tire mount will not touch the existing bump-stops (or whatever they're called)? I believe the factory wheels have 6.25" backspacing so I'm assuming this means the aftermarket wheels I'm considering will be 1.75" farther away from the tailgate.

Assuming this is all correct, it seems this setup would put more stress on the carrier and tailgate. The wheel/tire combos I'm considering will also be heavier than stock. As a result of all this, I'm assuming I'm going to need a new spare tire mount.

I'm keeping my factory bumper so I'll be sticking with a tailgate mounted spare. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have come across mounts that are adjustable both vertically and horizontally. It seems like it would be good to have that adjustability to get the fit and spacing exactly how you want it no matter what the geometry of your spare may be. Any disadvantages of having an adjustable carrier?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm considering purchasing a set of 18x9 aftermarket wheels w/ 275/70-18 tires for my 2015 JKU Sahara. Most of the wheels I'm considering have about 4.5" backspacing.

Am I correct in assuming that a wheel with these specs when mounted on the factory spare tire mount will not touch the existing bump-stops (or whatever they're called)? I believe the factory wheels have 6.25" backspacing so I'm assuming this means the aftermarket wheels I'm considering will be 1.75" farther away from the tailgate.

Assuming this is all correct, it seems this setup would put more stress on the carrier and tailgate. The wheel/tire combos I'm considering will also be heavier than stock. As a result of all this, I'm assuming I'm going to need a new spare tire mount.

I'm keeping my factory bumper so I'll be sticking with a tailgate mounted spare. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have come across mounts that are adjustable both vertically and horizontally. It seems like it would be good to have that adjustability to get the fit and spacing exactly how you want it no matter what the geometry of your spare may be. Any disadvantages of having an adjustable carrier?

Check out this link. I just went through this about a week ago. The additional weight is what I was concerned about. When you take the factory carrier off and hold it in your hand you'll see what I am talking about. I have no regrets and now I have a good piece of mind.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/s...ersize-tire-carrier-installation-1577082.html

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out this link. I just went through this about a week ago. The additional weight is what I was concerned about. When you take the factory career off and hold it in your hand you'll see what I am talking about. I have not regrets and now I have a good piece of mind.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/s...ersize-tire-carrier-installation-1577082.html
Thanks!

The Smittybilt looks similar to this one from Tactik: TACTIK 12052.0010 - TACTIK® Adjustable Spare Mount with Hinge Reinforcement for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I just picked up the Tactik Adjustable Spare Mount with Hinge Reinforcement kit from Quadratec/Rick.
Looks very stout and the best priced one out of the bunch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts