Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just put a new set of 285/70/17s on my Rubicon unlimited (on stock wheels)! Tires are great and look fantastic but the spare has me a bit concerned. The fit on the spare is ok but it looks like i may need to invest in a heavy duty spare mount based on what i have heard with the added weight. Any recommendations for something that wont break the bank and looks good?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Because the tires you put on are not exceeding the maximum weight the tailgate is holding, there is no reason to be concerned. On my jeep I have the smittybilt oversize tire carrier and haven't had any complaints. It's rated for up to a 37" tire and bolts on go the tailgate in place of the stock holder. Easy install and under $200. Worth it if you do not plan to do any intense wheeling in this jeep

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Stock tires is 48bs. 285/70/17 Duratrac is 53. You're probably good to go on the stock carrier as long as the tire is secure and doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I can't find anything specific to a 2014, but I think the Rubicon rims are 25lbs, and the stock tires are definitely 48lbs. So 73lbs total.

If you are going with a different carrier, consider if you want it to be a one step or two step process to open your tailgate. Many mounts require you to open the spare holder first to get to your tailgate. I don't think there are too many that are a one-step process. I have also heard people complain about squeaking with some of the carriers that aren't attached to the tailgate. I have opted for the Terraflex HD carrier, which reinforces the tailgate hinges, but it is on the pricer side.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can't find anything specific to a 2014, but I think the Rubicon rims are 25lbs, and the stock tires are definitely 48lbs. So 73lbs total.

If you are going with a different carrier, consider if you want it to be a one step or two step process to open your tailgate. Many mounts require you to open the spare holder first to get to your tailgate. I don't think there are too many that are a one-step process. I have also heard people complain about squeaking with some of the carriers that aren't attached to the tailgate. I have opted for the Terraflex HD carrier, which reinforces the tailgate hinges, but it is on the pricer side.
I just installed the ACE Pro Series Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier and love it. It's a solid piece of metal that will be there for life. I opted for the one with LED cut out's and have no regrets. I ordered it from Jason @KrawlOffroad for $1,020 (shipped) and got the Lifetime LED's from someone else for $100 each. The install took me and my dad a total of 3.5 hours, including soldering the LED's into the reverse lights (easily 75-90 minutes here for these newbs). We also could only work on the Jeep when my 2 yo son was sleeping so most of this was in the dark with flashlights. I hear ACE usually has a good Black Friday sale so wait until then if you can.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here's a pic of the bumper on my JK. I'm running 315/70R17's with the hope of going to 37's one day. The tire carrier will fit up to 37's and is a one piece (ie. Tire carrier swings out with the trunk, not separately)

image-3632184190.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool - thanks guys! If you think i am ok with stock I will sick with that and invest the $$ in other areas (perhaps lighting). Should i be concerned with a small amount of contact with the rear light plastic support bracket?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
what is the weight of the stock BF Goodrich tire with stock Rubicon wheel?
73 pounds. I weighted my spare. So you'd be at about 78. Couldn't tell you the actual weight limits on the stock carrier but something tells me that if Jeep is hanging 73 pounds on it, the limit exceeds that by a fair amount. Shouldn't have any issue with contacting the third brake light. You wouldn't be the only Jeep running a 33 inch spare. As long as the snubbies hold the tires tight and keep it from shaking and rattling, you should be OK.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I am running 285/70r17 Duratracs also, and it is a lighter set-up by 2 lbs than the 265/70r17 KM2 that came stock on my 10A. So you are definitely good to go.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I am running 285/70r17 Duratracs also, and it is a lighter set-up by 2 lbs than the 265/70r17 KM2 that came stock on my 10A. So you are definitely good to go.
I didn't realize the 10A came with bigger tires. How much did that combo weigh? Same stock carrier?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I put a 285/70/17 spare with a Pintler on my oem tailgate with zero issues. The Pintlers are about as close to stock offset as you can get (5.2 BS), combined with a wider tire (the difference between 255 and 285, divided by 2). My heavier spare has about the same amount of clearance as stock, from the rear bumper. The spare sits slightly further out, but it about .5" more in diameter.

I'd think a 285/70/17 on a stock wheel might hit a stock bumper, since the tire's diameter is slightly larger and an oem spare wheel's backspacing doesn't push the wheel/tire further back, away from the bumper. Not sure, but seems like a very close fit.

The weight you can feel when you open the tail gate on a hill, it wants to get away from you, compared to the stock spare/weight. I have a pic of the clearance in my build thread, and the new tailgate bumps I used.

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
I have about 18000 miles with my stock carrier and Teraflex hinge with 0 issues. 285/75-17 which is a 34" tire.

and same tire with Pintler rim.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Should i be concerned with a small amount of contact with the rear light plastic support bracket?

I have the same set up you have . They sell an adapter so that youll have more room back there, otherwise your tire will continue to rub on your brake light . Its a spare tire relocation bracket its like $40, works well .

·
Registered
296 Posts
Should i be concerned with a small amount of contact with the rear light plastic support bracket? I have the same set up you have . They sell an adapter so that youll have more room back there, otherwise your tire will continue to rub on your brake light . Its a spare tire relocation bracket its like $40, works well .
it's not going to be a problem at all, even if you see it bending slightly it's not going to affect the light or how well people behind you can see it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts