Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm getting ready to purchase new tires (EXCITED:punk:) and i'm planning on keeping one of my old ones so i'll have a full size spare (running 33's.) I still have the factory bumper and mounting hardware with the factory tire on my jeep and i was wondering if i can mount a 33 using the same hardware. I've looked at buying a different back bumper with tire carrier but their stinking expensive. And i'm a little worried about putting that big of a tire on the back gate and it not opening right. Anyone got some suggestions????

·
Registered
210 Posts
If it would fit which I think it might, ur mount would bend the trunk of ur jeep. It's not ratted to hold that size. So i would just put ur tire in the back of ur jeep until u can get a tire carrier. Try eBay might save some penny's!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
You be surprise how many here(myself included) have ran a 33" spare on stock carrier. Just extend those rubber snubbers via hockey pucks so it comes in contact with the spare and prevent any play when mounted. I went a step further and installed a 3" drop tow hitch extension turned upside down so the spare rests on it and helps with the weight. No issues. I have a 33x12.5x15 MT.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You be surprise how many here(myself included) have ran a 33" spare on stock carrier. Just extend those rubber snubbers via hockey pucks so it comes in contact with the spare and prevent any play when mounted. I went a step further and installed a 3" drop tow hitch extension turned upside down so the spare rests on it and helps with the weight. No issues. I have a 33x12.5x15 MT.
You got a picture of this tow hitch?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
It's just 3.25" drop extension I use to tow my small trailer. I left it in and turn it upside down. Keep in mind that I have a rear bumper with an integrated hitch. You will have to go with a larger drop or build it up for a frame mounted hitch.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I installed the Bestop tire carrier. Other than having to modify/ strengthen the backer brackets, I really like it.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
It's just 3.25" drop extension I use to tow my small trailer. I left it in and turn it upside down. Keep in mind that I have a rear bumper with an integrated hitch. You will have to go with a larger drop or build it up for a frame mounted hitch.
Oh, so it's just upside down... I thought you had added something to it.
I have a receiver built into my bumper too so I may have to look into this.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I installed the Bestop tire carrier. Other than having to modify/ strengthen the backer brackets, I really like it.

I like that. I never realized that those where hinged to open with the gate like that. I like that better than having to open the tire swing, then open the gate.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The previous owner of my jeep ran a 33" tire on the stock carrier forever. I did to for a short time. Didnt hurt the gate and it opened and closed fine. Im sure it wasnt good for it the. It was alot of weight. I found a bumper carrier combo for a good price so that was the better way to go.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I've had a 33x12.5 for over 5 years on the stock carrier. Like indicated above the important part is that the tire is tight against the rubber snubbers.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I too have been using the stock carrier with 33s for over 7 years. Lots of trips, lots of off roading, and I have a rack mounted on the rear door as well, which carries a cooler and two full Jerry cans .. The rack uses a lynch pin at the bottom that supports the extra weight.. No problems, as everything it tight when loaded with no play or rattles..

·
Registered
140 Posts
My reinforced stock tailgate with a 35 inch tire. Have not had any problems with it other than having one of those bolts slam into my spine when the gate shut on me!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I too have been using the stock carrier with 33s for over 7 years. Lots of trips, lots of off roading, and I have a rack mounted on the rear door as well, which carries a cooler and two full Jerry cans .. The rack uses a lynch pin at the bottom that supports the extra weight.. No problems, as everything it tight when loaded with no play or rattles..
What rack is that? is it easy to get on and off?

Dana

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
DBoat said:
What rack is that? is it easy to get on and off?

Dana
It's the Warrior rack,, easy to get off is relative,, I remove it every couple of winters for a good wire brushing and repainting.. Four Phillips head bolts hold everything on the gate. Sometimes it can be a pita to get off, I had to cut one of the bolts the last time I took it off... The only thing this rack lacks is a good powder coat from the factory.. and you will have to fabricate some shims to get everything square... ;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've only run 33x12.50s on the stock spare mount for about 2 weeks, and notice that when I close the gate, the tire hits the stock bumper. I'll probably swap rear bumpers in the near future.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
beaureed445 said:
I've only run 33x12.50s on the stock spare mount for about 2 weeks, and notice that when I close the gate, the tire hits the stock bumper. I'll probably swap rear bumpers in the near future.
I shimmed out the bottom of the tire mount and used longer bolts to lift the tire off the bumper.. I also shimmed out the rubber bump stops to snug everything up.. Works fine,,, but I must add that a new carrier system is in the works.. I like the OR-FAB carriers as the Jerry cans are tucked in front of the spare.. Just gotta get my jeep budget in order... ;)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have been running a 35X12.50 on my stock carrier for over a year now and before that I had a 33 on it for almost 2 years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So i can use the stock carrier...nice :) another question...i only have the factory spare which has the factory wheel....can i mount a 33X12.50X15 on that wheel or will i have to buy a wheel and if i do does it need to be a 15X7, 15X8, or 15X10? Will a 10inch wheel mount to the factory carrier??

·
Registered
980 Posts
LugnutAL said:
So i can use the stock carrier...nice :) another question...i only have the factory spare which has the factory wheel....can i mount a 33X12.50X15 on that wheel or will i have to buy a wheel and if i do does it need to be a 15X7, 15X8, or 15X10? Will a 10inch wheel mount to the factory carrier??
Hmm. You could buy a spacer and use the original but i think its tight to have matching wheels.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
X2. Match your wheels and tire size.., you never know when you might have to drive several hundred miles on that "spare".. Besides that, jeeps with non-matching spares look goofy

1 - 20 of 32 Posts