Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased 5 Cooper Discoverer MPT tires size 315/70/17. I have them mounted on the stock Rubicon wheels. I was under the impression that the spare would still be able to mount to the stock carrier (I've read lots of threads about the cons to having an oversize spare mounted on the stock carrier). But I'm having issues with it not fitting all the way on to the bolts due to it hitting the third brake light. Should the tire be able to fit, and I'm doing something wrong? Or do I need to get some kind of spacer of some kind? I'm trying to avoid buying an aftermarket carrier for the time being. Appreciate any advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Some run a 35" on stock carrier and state no issues. Honestly IMHO it is simply a matter of time before an issue arises. Not if but when. I ran a 285/75R16 and have broken spot welds in my tailgate. As for the spare hitting the 3rd brake light. I cannot comment on personally. I was under the impression it covers the light or a portion of it depending on "actual" diameter of the tire purchased. But I can't recall it contacting the light. At any rate, yes there is extensions available, but use caution. Because the rattling is severe even by our standards to overlook some expected rattles etc associated with a jeep.
Rugged Ridge Third Brake Light Extension Kit - Black - 11546.23

·
Registered
35 Posts
You didn't have any problems using the stock rims. I have a jku but looks like those exact rims in 17's. Wanted to go to 305/70/17 now that I have a teraflex leveling kit installed but wasn't sure cause of the backspacing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the 35/12.5/15 on my stock carrier. Holding my breath and checking spot welds until I get an upgrade. The tire went on fine with mine, 4" backspace. Maybe the back spacing is the issue with yours fitting?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
315/70-17 Cooper ST Maxx on AEV Salta, stock carrier.
No problem fitting, but I'm gonna use the Tactik hinge reinforcement from Quadratec before it trashes my gate

·
Registered
554 Posts
i dont think it should be able to fit, i have 35x12.5s with wheels that have 4.7" of BS and they dont fit (hit the bumper), i had to buy the teraflex spacer that moved the wheel straight up (not out) and i got the daystar adjustable bumpers/tailgate stops whatever you call them, now the tire rest on the taillight and the 2 bumpstops which really helps keep it from shaking, the tailgate still rattles though. on the stock wheels i would advise get a bracket that moves the tire up and out because you have stock backspacing. avoid the MBRP one that says it fits a 37" as i think that moves the tire too far out (this is what i had before the teraflex one)

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I bought my JK, the dealer put Mopar Beadlocks and General Grabber AT2 315/70R17 tires on it and it barely fit on the stock carrier. The look was cool but I rubbed the fender on day two so I ended up selling the General's and bought Nitto Grappler AT 285/70R17 sized tires and it is a much better fit both on the jeep and especially on the spare tire carrier.

The spare felt extremely heavy on the carrier and I was a little worried that it might not hold effectively. Here is a picture of the back of my jeep with the General tire on the back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think the backspacing might be the issue with the brake light.

Hankook Dynapro MT 35's will hit the stock bumper cutout causing issues trying to close the gate. It's doable but can't be good long term. It's about an 1" from the light.

On our last jeep the 1.25" Teraflex Body Lift fixed that issue but on our new JKU we're using the TF hinged carrier.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I think you're right

·
Registered
198 Posts
How about if you flipped the spare tire/wheel around and bolted it on backwards? I don't think it would be any difference for the tail light but I would assume the bolts would then be long enough to mount the tire. If it's not illegal in your state, you could always disconnect the third brake light.

·
Registered
554 Posts
How about if you flipped the spare tire/wheel around and bolted it on backwards? I don't think it would be any difference for the tail light but I would assume the bolts would then be long enough to mount the tire. If it's not illegal in your state, you could always disconnect the third brake light.
this might be a good temporary fix but i wouldnt run it like that, that holds the tire extremely far out giving the weight of the tire alot of leverage to do damage to the tailgate

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used a wheel spacer to fit my 35" spare on the stock carrier. It was ok at first, but after a few months I could hear my tailgate rattling with every bump.

I opted to replace the rear bumper with a new bumper that had a swing away tire carrier. I bought the eautogrilles version off of eBay and it has been rock solid (with a minor modification).

No more rattle!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 35/70/16 on an alloy procomp rim and all I did was swap out the bump stops (day star) and it fits perfect. It touches at the stock bumper on the indention and doesn't rattle after a 1000 miles.

I guess I'll see how it lasts for me. It's going to have to fail before I spend the money to upgrade

image-2042241297.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts