Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can the TJ handle carrying a bigger tire and rim in place of the factory spare without breaking something or bending the mount???? will it fit????

rather not have to buy a new bumper and tire carrier

·
Registered
122 Posts
no damage as long as you extend the rubber bumpstops ( can use hockey pucks with a hole drilled) to keep the tire from swaying when you slam the door shut, thats when it starts bending the hindges, you may need to buy a relocator bracket that moves the tire up away from the bumper.

·
Registered
274 Posts
How big are you talking about, and what type of wheel (steel or alloy)? Some threads suggest the door begins to sag because the hinges have a lot more weight to handle.
I'm about to test it out and will cross that bridge later lol :p

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I ve had a 33x12.5 on mine for.5.years

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a 31 10.50 on a steel rim and i can feel the door drag a little when i open it and after a few months it took the paint off the bottom of the gate and the opening for the gate in the rear. Mt son also opened it one day and i was on a little of a hill and him being a kid he opened and just let it swing and it bent the one hinge pretty good. So i replaced the hindge and took it off.

·
Registered
876 Posts
From my 04 owners manual:

NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the
spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross
weight of 50 lbs (23 kg) including the weight of the spare
tire.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
33x9.5 on mine without issue for well over 6 years.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
33X12.5X15 so far no issues. I do have a hitch extension for towing that I left in so the tire kinda rests on it, along with hockey pucks to extend the rubber snubbers.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I've only got a 31 on mine but speaking about extending the bumpstops this is what i did.
I used a 1 1/2'' pvc pipe

Cut to desired length and painted black

Longer bolts

Cut a slot so i could tighten them

And installed them

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm.. thanks all... good info... putting a 31x10.5 15inch alloy rim... hopefully no issues.. thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've only got a 31 on mine but speaking about extending the bumpstops this is what i did.
I used a 1 1/2'' pvc pipe

Cut to desired length and painted black

Longer bolts

Cut a slot so i could tighten them

And installed them

nice job...turned out great

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I have a 33x10.5 on the stock canyon wheel and I have no issues. Only complaint is my aftermarket bumper sets a litter higher then the stock one so the tire rubs on the bumper. Im looking at getting a Hyline spare tire replacement bracket

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 33x10.5 on the stock canyon wheel and I have no issues. Only complaint is my aftermarket bumper sets a litter higher then the stock one so the tire rubs on the bumper. Im looking at getting a Hyline spare tire replacement bracket

cool, i should be able to put one on then without any issues .. i hope..
its only going to be a 31x10.5 on a 15x8 wheel

thanks all for your info and help..

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Nothing to worry about with a 31. The Rubicon comes with a 31 on the same carrier.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I have 32X11.50's, on alloy wheels with 4" back space. Stuck too far out; too much leverage on the stock carrier IMO. I just installed the Bestop carrier, and with a little tweeking and supplementing the supplied backing plates, I'm happy with it.

Oversized Tire Carrier

·
Registered
19 Posts
33X12.5X15 for I don't know how many years with no issues. It does rub on the bumper, but I think of it as taking a bit of the load off the hinges. :thumb:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cool thanks all.. just got the rim and tire today.. put it on a scale and its just under 60 lbs.. sorta worried now after what "jasonduke5" and "southtj" stated..
unfortunately i cannot find my owners manual... it up and vanished..

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
If you wait a bit, your grandpa will probably make you a heck of a deal on his..

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Patrick H said:
If you wait a bit, your grandpa will probably make you a heck of a deal on his..
Yeah? Awesome! It would really be nice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts