Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm saving up for 31 inch mud tires. I'm going to put them on my stock rims. But I was wondering if I would need a new spare tire mount? I'm looking for the cheapest option so I would like to keep the mount if possible. Would 31in tires fit on it?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Yes a 31 will fit. I have a 33 on mine.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
Mine didn't fit. There are extenders available for about $40; I got one that also raised the third light up.
A 31x10.50 spare fits without problem. That's what comes stock on the Rubicon which comes stock with the metric equivilent to 31" tires. I ran a 32x11.50 and eventually a 33x12.50 on my OE spare bracket until it finally broke under the weight of the 33x12.50.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A 31x10.50 spare fits without problem. That's what comes stock on the Rubicon which comes stock with the metric equivilent to 31" tires. I ran a 32x11.50 and eventually a 33x12.50 on my OE spare bracket until it finally broke under the weight of the 33x12.50.
Very cool. Hey could you tell me what the numbers mean after 33 I never understood that. And when Im picking out tires do I need to worry about the number after the 31?

·
Registered
97 Posts
IWANNAOFFROAD said:
Very cool. Hey could you tell me what the numbers mean after 33 I never understood that. And when Im picking out tires do I need to worry about the number after the 31?
It's the width of the tire

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
For a 31x10.50x15 tire, that means the tire has a 31" diameter, a 10.50 width at its widest point which is half-way up the sidewall, and the 15 is the wheel diameter.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My 31x12.5x15 was too wide to fit in the standard tire mount. Whether this is because the bolts on the mount are too short or the tire was hitting the bumper I can't tell you - it was bad enough lifting the damn thing by myself and lining the bolts up just to see how much of a deficit there was. Bottom line is that the guys at the tire store couldn't get it on there and neither could I.

Because the extender moves the tire out AND up, it was necessary to also lift the third light. As you can see from the photos the third light still just barely peeks over the top, even with the extender.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
It'll hold a 31" tire fine. Anything bigger than that and I would start looking at tire carriers that mount to the bumper or frame. Those extenders put a lot of stress on the stock mounting point, and can cause issues with your tailgate.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A 31 fit on mine, but I couldn't get the lugs to reach until I removed the rubber bumpers screwed into the tail gate. The 3rd brake light is also still fully visible.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I couldn't get the lugs started on my 31" BFG unless I aired the tire down some first. I ended up shaving a bit off of each of the rubber pads with a table saw until the tire would fit fully inflated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts