Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone my spare tire was stolen off the back of my jeep overnight when it was parked out front. i found the lugs in the street including the one with the lock. it didn't have damage to it so how the hell did they get it off!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Lots of thieves have extra keys. They just use them.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Yeah, I'd invest in something a little higher quality. Check the stats on Gorillas and McGards.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
This brings back a memory of a thread along these lines and I got eviscerated for singing the not-so-praises of wheel locks.
There are a litany of ways they defeat them, not the least of which is hyper-tightening the other two(2) lugs and then just spinning the lock off.
Extra keys, liquid freon, etc.
With no visible damage - my money is on they tightened the two(2) - extra keys take too long and if you had the keys, why not pocket the lugs too.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeah, I'd invest in something a little higher quality. Check the stats on Gorillas and McGards.
I believe the Mopars are just rebranded McGards. Unfortunately, locks only keep an honest person honest. Thieves will find a way around any locking method.

·
Registered
502 Posts
There is specialty removers for both spinning collar and non-collar wheel lock lugs. People loose there key most times and these removers came about to address that. Google a little bit and you will find the info. Thieves have the internet also and access to these same tools.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my question is now, all are Gorilla or mcGards locking keys the same if someone else purchases the same kit?

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
now I'm worried they will come back for all my tires!
Most thieves are interested in Speed and not getting caught - jacking a vehicle to take the ones it's sitting on is too risky. If they were going to do that, they take the whole Jeep somewhere and strip the whole thing.
The spare took about 10 seconds and they were gone.

(27 years and three(3) Insurance Agencies. We used to Hire X-Professional Car Thieves from Philadelphia and NYC to come in and demonstrate How and What to do.
It was very informative AND scarey How easy it all is when the one doing it knows what they are doing and is motivated. NOT getting caught AND getting Paid being the two principle motivators.

·
Registered
502 Posts
This brings back a memory of a thread along these lines and I got eviscerated for singing the not-so-praises of wheel locks.
Have you ever tried to change a tire on the side of the freeway with wheel locks installed? Especially after they have been overtightened by someone in the past. I've seen many a vehicle disabled by a flat tire with wheel locks installed. I take my chances and don't use them.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most thieves are interested in Speed and not getting caught - jacking a vehicle to take the ones it's sitting on is too risky. If they were going to do that, they take the whole Jeep somewhere and strip the whole thing.
The spare took about 10 seconds and they were gone.
yeah thats true..now i don't even know if its worth buying another spare so they come back and steal it again.

·
Registered
502 Posts
my question is now, all are Gorilla or mcGards locking keys the same if someone else purchases the same kit?
There are many different keys for these locks, but it is not an infinite number. The lock removers talked about above are readily available to anyone.

·
Registered
33,540 Posts
There is specialty removers for both spinning collar and non-collar wheel lock lugs. People loose there key most times and these removers came about to address that. Google a little bit and you will find the info. Thieves have the internet also and access to these same tools.
You don't even specialty tools, I learned years ago, that all you need is the right size socket and a hammer.

Locks are for honest people.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Have you ever tried to change a tire on the side of the freeway with wheel locks installed? Especially after they have been overtightened by someone in the past. I've seen many a vehicle disabled by a flat tire with wheel locks installed. I take my chances and don't use them.
(?) Not sure if was unclear - I don't use wheel locks and never have they are a waste of time and money.

yeah thats true..now i don't even know if its worth buying another spare so they come back and steal it again.
Possibly. Probably not but you never know. Fix-a-flat OR better yet a plug kit and compressor is what I carry. Hidden away behind blacked out windows and a hard top which is an illusion of security too but..... I also don't really go anywhere high risk. Somebody's dumb enough to show up at my hous to steal my Jeep they will be the ones Hoping the Cops come.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
now I'm worried they will come back for all my tires!
Only if you put your Jeep up on jack stands at night, so the rest of the tires can be removed as quickly.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Only if you put your Jeep up on jack stands at night, so the rest of the tires can be removed as quickly.
believe it or not people are jacking up cars and taking all 4 tires and either leaving there jack or dropping the car with no rims/tires:rant:

·
Registered
335 Posts
hey everyone my spare tire was stolen off the back of my jeep overnight when it was parked out front. i found the lugs in the street including the one with the lock. it didn't have damage to it so how the hell did they get it off!
All you need is a socket that is slightly smaller then then the lug nut then hammer it on to remove ANY wheel lock.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts