Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
any decent thief has the keys to unlock almost everyone of those tire locks. they're standard keys. wheel locks are only going to prevent theft from some punk kid messing around, unfortunately. unless you go to a machine shop and have a custom lug nut and key made.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
hey everyone my spare tire was stolen off the back of my jeep overnight when it was parked out front. i found the lugs in the street including the one with the lock. it didn't have damage to it so how the hell did they get it off!
I use a thick cable and quality pad lock ( located on the inside of the tire ) to secure my spare. It adds one more tool that the criminal types must carry. If one thing that 20+ years as an LEO has shown me, criminal types are lazy and needing two tools is work. The more work they have to do, the less likely they are to do something.

·
Registered
801 Posts
You don't need a key to get wheel locks off. They make a tool that looks like a socket but has threads inside. Place that on the lock, turn and the threads will bit the locking lug and it comes off. takes no more time than if you had the key.

I just bought one of these at a local auto parts store because I lost my lock and couldn't wait while I ordered a new one from McGuard.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Best bet is to install a motion sensing or Proximity alarm, but even that is no guarantee, and probably a pain in the @ss when the wind starts blowing.

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Stock tire carrier? I found that those rubber booties that compress work against you. On my gal's JK I tightened all hers down and then a week later checked again and they were only snug and with some compression against the tire i could easily unscrew the lugs by hand.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Bad news is "wheel locks" are worthless. I've removed them many ways...most of which are without the key. Personally I can't in good faith post those methods...

Locks keep honest people honest.

Good news is....well shit....I don't have any good news for you.

The product posted by Original Junior looks like a nice option. Assuming of course a nice thwack with a hammer won't break it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
yea, its just frustrating people are assholes.....Once i get my new rims/tires I'm going to use a thick cable and the option original junior posted might be my next purchase!!!

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
I wonder if these are any better than the standard security lug nuts?
Jeep Spare Tire Lock — BOLT Locks by Strattec
The product posted by Original Junior looks like a nice option. Assuming of course a nice thwack with a hammer won't break it.
I don't see anywhere on that site where they "customize" the lock to work with your key. Which must mean that it works with ALL Chrysler keys (the lock we would order is labeled as "Chrysler." The picture shows it working with all the remote fob keys, the "slide-out" emergency key that is part of the keyless fob, and the old fashioned key like I have that's just a... key.)

So you are relying on a thief not knowing what this lock is and therefore not having a Chrysler key of any type.

Am I misconstruing here?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Also, I wonder if you can unlock it from inside the car if you have a remote fob.

:lmao:

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
believe it or not people are jacking up cars and taking all 4 tires and either leaving there jack or dropping the car with no rims/tires:rant:
This is very true. Lost all four 20" rims/tires on my Ram 1500. The kicker was that the cops took the floor jack that was left behind as evidence.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I always put the most worn tire on the carrier, or if new, rotate one on there as soon as the nipples are worn off. Good news is that you can get a spare tire/wheel off CL for $100 - it doesn't have to be the same tire, a worn MT looks fine.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I always put the most worn tire on the carrier, or if new, rotate one on there as soon as the nipples are worn off. Good news is that you can get a spare tire/wheel off CL for $100 - it doesn't have to be the same tire, a worn MT looks fine.
He'll, there is a decent chance you will find your own tire for sale on CL.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
believe it or not people are jacking up cars and taking all 4 tires and either leaving there jack or dropping the car with no rims/tires:rant:
A lady I worked with (now deceased) was walking from a market, back to her car and noticed 4 men and a white van by her car, they each jacked up a corner and were trying to remove her wheels. They saw her, jumped in the van and peeled out, leaving their tools and all. She wrote their plate number down, cell-phoned the police and they were caught about 20 minutes later. Just luck on her part, another 2 minutes and they'd have her wheels and would have been gone.

That's how fast some of these people are.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Most thieves are interested in Speed and not getting caught - jacking a vehicle to take the ones it's sitting on is too risky. If they were going to do that, they take the whole Jeep somewhere and strip the whole thing. The spare took about 10 seconds and they were gone. (27 years and three(3) Insurance Agencies. We used to Hire X-Professional Car Thieves from Philadelphia and NYC to come in and demonstrate How and What to do. It was very informative AND scarey How easy it all is when the one doing it knows what they are doing and is motivated. NOT getting caught AND getting Paid being the two principle motivators.
In Central Ohio, there is a group of thieves who specialize in stealing the entire set of wheels and tires. And they leave the cars on cinder blocks. I know because a buddy was the victim. Who knew it was them because when hie went to his driveway in shock the next morning, they left his "Welcome" mat beside his Avalanche. It's their calling card. He was pissed and impressed at their skill and boldness at the same time.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Best bet is to install a motion sensing or Proximity alarm, but even that is no guarantee, and probably a pain in the @ss when the wind starts blowing.
Yep. I have had one for years on my Jeeps. Wind and rain will make it give it's warning chirp some of the time. If you take the time to tune it you will be ok most of the time - unless you get a lot of rain or wind. Around here the crooks like working autos over when it rains - people either turn the car alarms off after they false trigger or ignore them because everyone in the neighborhood is going off from thunder anyhow.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You have to set it to your specific key. It is similar, I believe, to the house locks you can "custom" set to your existing house keys. Once it is set, it will only work with your specific key, no other Dodge, Jeep, or Chrysler keys. I have a trailer receiver lock made by BOLT that only works for my Dodge truck but not my Jeep or old Chrysler Sebring keys. Nothing is perfect but this seems better than the standard McGuard locks.

I don't see anywhere on that site where they "customize" the lock to work with your key. Which must mean that it works with ALL Chrysler keys (the lock we would order is labeled as "Chrysler." The picture shows it working with all the remote fob keys, the "slide-out" emergency key that is part of the keyless fob, and the old fashioned key like I have that's just a... key.)

So you are relying on a thief not knowing what this lock is and therefore not having a Chrysler key of any type.

Am I misconstruing here?

21 - 40 of 89 Posts