Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to think I like the look of my tailgate mounted spare tire/wheel WITHOUT a spare tire cover.

But my OCD can't quite resolve the fact that there are only 3 lugnuts on the wheel.... with 2 missing. It looks.... odd to me.

I am just wondering if there is some way to mount a few 'dummy lugnuts' into the two empty holes??

·
Registered
193 Posts
if you really wanna mess with OCD: The thing that killed me on my future wife at the time's jeep is that after years of being covered, the cover actually held in all the dirt and grim that turned the tire and wheel to irreparable shit. That bugged the crap out of me. I'll take two missing lugs over a crappy/nasty spare that you'd rather drive a flat that touch the spare any day. Embrace the 3 lugs!

·
Registered
10,414 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
if you really wanna mess with OCD: The thing that killed me on my future wife at the time's jeep is that after years of being covered, the cover actually held in all the dirt and grim that turned the tire and wheel to irreparable shit. That bugged the crap out of me. I'll take two missing lugs over a crappy/nasty spare that you'd rather drive a flat that touch the spare any day. Embrace the 3 lugs!

This.

I kept one on for a couple years on a Jeep I had 30 years ago and could not believe the condition of the spare when I pulled it off. It seems like the opposite of protection. Ever since then I have just left the spare uncovered, like the other four on the vehicle. Now a spare tire cover looks weird to me. Seems like most Jeeps that have one are either hiding an unmatched spare or have some sort of decorative cover that the owner must like. Not so much for me.

Still better than no spare tire at all though. :whistling:

·
Registered
463 Posts
This.

I kept one on for a couple years on a Jeep I had 30 years ago and could not believe the condition of the spare when I pulled it off. It seems like the opposite of protection. Ever since then I have just left the spare uncovered, like the other four on the vehicle. Now a spare tire cover looks weird to me. Seems like most Jeeps that have one are either hiding an unmatched spare or have some sort of decorative cover that the owner must like. Not so much for me.

Still better than no spare tire at all though. :whistling:

You caught me...I'm totally guilty of hiding an unmatched spare. But I think my reason is legit. A fifth BFG 315 + wheel is $400. Spare tire carrier is $700. I can spend $1100+ on a matching spare that I probably wont be using for a while so will be essentially for looks, or I can spend it on a regear. I'm choosing the regear and getting the 5th tire afterwards. I could have waited a bit to do everything at once but....why? On trails I do, the smaller spare will get me where I need to go temporarily just fine.

·
Registered
860 Posts
You caught me...I'm totally guilty of hiding an unmatched spare. But I think my reason is legit. A fifth BFG 315 + wheel is $400. Spare tire carrier is $700. I can spend $1100+ on a matching spare that I probably wont be using for a while so will be essentially for looks, or I can spend it on a regear. I'm choosing the regear and getting the 5th tire afterwards. I could have waited a bit to do everything at once but....why? On trails I do, the smaller spare will get me where I need to go temporarily just fine.

Fair enough.

And yeah, even with just 33s, my full size spare cost me close to $1000:

Tire: $300 + mount and balance
Wheel: $225
TF Hinge: $450

I smoked my TJ's tailgate hinges and ended up having to replace and repaint them, so I decided I would pay up front this time. ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Nice wheels man...love the color!
Thanks, although in that pic the wheel looks a bit brighter than it really is. They are AEV Savegres in the discontinued Argent color:

They also sold them in Silver when Argent was available, but now they only come in Black, I keep waiting for that fad to end. ;)

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I just ordered new wheels/tires and skipped the spare. IMO, it's just plain silly spending all that money on a new bumper/tire carrier to carry a (larger) tire that you will use once every frigging blue moon. A smaller spare will work just fine in a pinch.

Cover? Nah.... I will proudly display an unmatched spare. My backup cam pokes through the spare wheel spokes anyway and a cover would mess that up.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I hate the cover! Ditched it the second I got home.
But only because I have a matched spare. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to drive it without the cover that I hate. :redface:

But what bothers my Jeep OCD is the fact that the spoke holes of my wheels don't line up with the lug nut holes. It's a numbers thing. So the top most spoke hole is slightly off center and the wheel looks like it's rotated.

Reactions: gaylonw

·
Premium Member
449 Posts

But only because I have a matched spare. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to drive it without the cover that I hate. :redface:

But what bothers my Jeep OCD is the fact that the spoke holes of my wheels don't line up with the lug nut holes. It's a numbers thing. So the top most spoke hole is slightly off center and the wheel looks like it's rotated.

That's exactly why I went with a 10 spoke (2x5) wheel - ProComp Helldorado.

I'm not really OCD, it just didn't look right. And my valve stem is centered as well.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

It looks like your top right lug is centered, or damn close. Why don't you put that at the bottom, should be symmetrical then?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It looks like your top right lug is centered, or damn close. Why don't you put that at the bottom, should be symmetrical then?
Yes, the top is the closest to center.
In that pic (this is my previous jeep), the backup camera is poking through that spoke so it needs to be as centered as possible.

Today the new jeep is getting the Alpine brake light camera installed so it won't matter where the spokes holes are and I can orient it any way I want.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts