Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything i can do outside of buying a new rear bumper to make my 33" tire fit on my stock TJ spare tire mount? Is there a spacer, ect that will help?

·
Registered
52 Posts
One of the vendors has a bracket that lifts and pushes the tire away from the door. I'll see if I can find it and get back, but the short answer is "yes"

·
Registered
391 Posts
There's also a relocation bracket that extends the tire mount out and lifts the third light up. I got mine on eBay. Not sure I'd use it with a 33" tire, though...everyone I talked to said anything heavier than a 31" would cause too much strain on the tailgate hinges because of the way the tire's moved out and away from the body. It was cheap and easy to install, though. Maybe a good stopgap before buying a new mount?

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kssun, does this also lift the 3rd brake light?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ed98208

Do you have a model or part # or manufacturer of the one your bought?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I went to Lowe's and bought 3 1.5 inch PVC couplings and 1.5 inch longer bolts to raise the brake light. I also bought 4 1 inch longer bolts for the tire stops.
Then I wen to Play it Again sports and bought 4 used hockey pucks and came home, put the pucks in a drill press and mounted the puck on the tail gate with the factory bump on top of the pucks.
The 33 12.50 15 BF G TA/KO on an 8 inch alloy wheel
rests on the bumper, brake light clears the tire, and the tire is ultra snug and does not move, wiggle, or jiggle.

I used a drill press cause I have one, a hand drill would work just fine, and in a pinch a cordless screw driver might work if you used a sheet rock screw as a "drill" (or a screw that is close to the same diameter as the bolt.

I also don't think I would do this with a heavy mud tire or a steel wheel.

my 33 with alloy weighs darn near the same as the factory steel wheel and 235 75 15 BF G TA/KO that came off the jeep.

Cost was a total of 11.87

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
No troubles, if your close by I'll give you a hand, if you decide to modify...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Durham,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the invite! I ended up just taking the rear bumper off!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
no worries, if you decide to put it back on let me know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts