Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Do you carry a spare?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the general consensus is on actually mounting/carrying a spare tire. I know the obvious, (ie what about a flat) but it seems I see quite a bit of Jeeps out there running without. I'm planning on some new rims/tires, and I'm curious how many purchase the 5th rim for the spare. Also, I've seen some posts about the spare tire and its affects on the tail gate. I don't plan on doing any serious crawling, and its not my daily driver. I guess this is more of a poll of opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
I carry a spare on every vehicle I drive. The Jeep is no exception. When I have the money to lift it and put larger tires and different wheels on it, I'll already have a new bumper with a spare tire carrier and I'll purchase 5 new tires and wheels. A spare tire is not optional equiptment for me. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Always carry a spare thats the same size as the tires I'm running. Never understood why people (not just Jeeps) get bigger rims and tires but dont get the same size spare. Maybe its a cost thing but if you get a flat don't think its too safe.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
We all run them up here, nobody is willing to be the moron who ruins a run because of a flat non-repairable tire.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just bought 5 tires and 5 rims. I rotate the spare in with rotations.

·
Registered
392 Posts
At the moment I am not running with a spare. Haven't finished my tire carrier yet to carry the 33.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I personally spent the money for an extra full size tire and bought the swing arm to carry it. Its mounted on a stock wheel even though I have all after market wheels mounted but I still have a full size spare.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I carry a spare tire on all but the most extreme trails where the spare tire could get in the way. On those most extreme trails, we have tire repair equipment to repair pretty much any tire problem except a blowout and camp is usually less than a mile or two away so if needed, we could send someone back to fetch the spare. I managed to do a three-corner sidewall tear once and rather than send someone back to camp for my spare, I got it plugged enough to hold air with about 30 tire plugs which is a story in and of itself. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't leave home without it. All my vehicles have a full size spare.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I wouldnt even think of going anywhere without a spare. And remember to keep the pressure up in the spare. I found out the hard way that mine had a slow leak and looked fine till I put it on and it was pretty much flat. Thank god for Fixaflat.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My Jeep came with the OEM spare, which didn't come close to the 31x1050's mounted on Ultra rims.
I finally got around to buying new tires, and got a 5th rim, so that all 5 tires will match.

If you 'wheel, you should always have a spare that is comparable to your running tires.
People who are wheeling without a spare on the back, may have it strapped inside, nearby in another vehicle, or they may be one of those who always depends on the charity of others when they find their supplies lacking.

And yes, I too, plan to rotate all 5 tires, like 25172021k and Pokey stated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got 33's with a spare, which the truck came with when I bought it.But I've been wondering its the stock spare tire holder is strong enough or if i should upgrade it before anything happens.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chicagojeep7 said:
I've got 33's with a spare, which the truck came with when I bought it.But I've been wondering its the stock spare tire holder is strong enough or if i should upgrade it before anything happens.
That would be my next question, at what point should I worry about the tailgate an what are my options?

·
Registered
390 Posts
The general consensus or at least what I have read is nothing over a 32 inch tire on the stock tire carrier on a tj at least, some people have made it by with 33's but I wouldnt trust it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts