Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Brand does not matter much, Part Number is everything here. As long as the Correct Part Number is used, ( identical part whatever brand ) No Problem.
I have yet never found a particular brand that works better or worse, and I have tried everything without problems.
Now, that`s true for cars, for Aircraft, I only use the same exact part that the factory calls for, down to the last number, brand, color and everything on the Service Manual.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Autolite for American made vehicles, NGK for Japanese made....just from my experience.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Autolite APP985 Double Platinum work great in my LJ!!! I just have a hard time finding them in stock sometimes.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
Autolite, Champion, and NGK work fine but some of the newer engines are very fussy about what plugs they'll run well on. What model year TJ and engine do you have?

Plug brands I would not run include E3, Splitfire, or Bosch Plus-2 or Plus-4 plugs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Autolite, Champion, and NGK work fine but some of the newer engines are very fussy about what plugs they'll run well on. What model year TJ and engine do you have?

Plug brands I would not run include E3, Splitfire, or Bosch Plus-2 or Plus-4 plugs.
X2 Do not use those specialty plugs that Jerry mentioned....Nothing but hype I understand that the only thing that is patent on these plugs are the electrode, the cores can come from anywhere any brand, maybe even seconds.

I'm no expert....just what I heard from a engineer friend and my own opinion!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
Yep that's in the more finicky group of TJ 4.0L engines. Three good spark plugs for you include the double-platinum tipped Autolite APP985 (not AP985!) or Champion 7034. Either of those will perform well for 100k miles. Or the iridium tipped Autolite XP985 which will perform well for closer to 200k miles.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
X2 Do not use those specialty plugs that Jerry mentioned....Nothing but hype I understand that the only thing that is patent on these plugs are the electrode, the cores can come from anywhere any brand, maybe even seconds.

I'm no expert....just what I heard from a engineer friend and my own opinion!
Yes it's clear from your hear-say comments that you're no spark plug expert. The plugs I recommended are not "specialty" plugs, they are simply the recommended plugs. All plugs use copper cores, the difference is what the copper electrodes are coated with which can be nothing, platinum, or iridium. The benefit to a protective platinum or iridium electrode coating is they don't corrode as quickly. The platinum coating can help them last 3-4X longer, an iridium coating can help them last 4-5X longer.

The benefit to the "fine wire" tip technology on such plugs is they fire more easily in difficult combustion conditions like if they were fouled do to an engine problem.

The plugs I have been consistently recommending for our TJs for many years are the same ones that have been recommended by many for our TJs for many years, they are not unique to me.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
No Jerry I mean just these... E3, Splitfire, or Bosch Plus-2 or Plus-4 plugs.
Oh no, thanks for that clarification. I'll edit my earlier response if it hasn't timed out. Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, it's too late to edit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The stock plugs are the best. The E3, Splitfire, etc don't work well the 4 and 6's

1 - 15 of 15 Posts