Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a video on how to change spark plugs for a TJ? I've changed them before in a Honda Civic, but there are things I have to take off to get to these and I am not sure how.

Any advice or video would be welcome.

Paul

·
Registered
540 Posts
if there is a bar over the 6 plugs, there are a few bolts,4-6, to take out that go through it. pull as straight up as you can. lay it off to the side, and replace the plugs. make sure they are gapped right washerless plugs, snug them, then add 1/16 turn
washered plugs, tighten them and add 1/8 turn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, 2006 sport.

I was going to go with these Champion® Double Platinum - Spark Plug
Part Number: 7034

·
Knows a couple things...
49,018 Posts
Champion's 7034 is a great choice. If they don't have that one in stock, Autolite's APP985 (not AP985) would be a good choice too which is pretty much the same plug as the Champion 7034..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im gonna be changing my plugs also, what is the gap supposed to be on the champions? Im assuming my 4.0 is missing when u first start it and goes away when it warms up some?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The video is pretty good, but I have the air intake and then something else above spark plug rail.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,018 Posts
Im gonna be changing my plugs also, what is the gap supposed to be on the champions? Im assuming my 4.0 is missing when u first start it and goes away when it warms up some?
The usual gap is .035 though some Owner's Manuals for newer TJ 4.0L engines specify .040. Your Owner's Manual will give the spec, and there is usually a sticker specifying the recommended gap inside the engine compartment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts