Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was on my way to work this morning and about a mile down the road I noticed a loss of power and sputtering of the engine. My CEL started flashing and I came up to a hill and had to accellerate and then the light stayed on. I went to the back to see if I was smoking out my exhaust and i noticed that the output of exhaust was abnormal, almost like a unsteady popping. Drove back home and waited for the sun to come up and was checking my wires and noticed a ticking/sparking sound. As I was pulling individual wires I noticed arcing from a wire as it was attatched to the plug. It was arcing from inside the boot to the motor itself. Im assuming its just a bad wire but just wanted to know if someone had any other ideas. Thanx in advance!!!
:confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Anything can happen when it comes to auto parts, ive replaced things that had 100k on them before and have the new part go bad 3k later... i could just be a manufacturing flaw.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Yep you got a bad plug wire. I've had stuff bad right out of the box. It happens.

While you are at it, pull the plug to check it. It may have gotten fouled by the plug wire arcing and not firing the plug.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
For new ignition wires, I'd go straight to the dealer who will give you a set that are high quality, will hold up well, won't pull apart when you next change your spark plugs, and won't cause electrical/static interference to your AM and CB radios and sometimes even to the engine computer.

While there are some aftermarket ignition wiring sets that can also do all of that, most don't do all of those well. They are hit and miss and many are just plain shoddily constructed. Before I learned that, it took three different ignition wiring sets for my '97 TJ to get one that didn't have one or anothe major problem... especially like causing static on my AM and CB radios. Especially avoid those that advertise they are "Low Resistance". Low resistance wires are actually less costly to manufacture than the higher resistance ignition wires that are purposely made with added resistance to eliminate RF noise/static that interferes with AM/CB radios and engine computers. The added resistance does NOT cause a significant loss in voltage delivered to the spark plugs due to the extremely low current (amperage) that passes through the ignition wires. Ohm's law and all that. The factory wires have that added resistance, whatever you install should to or you'll just have problems.

The advice to change plugs while you're there is good too. Three good plugs for your type of ignition system are the Autolite AP985, Champion 3034, or (best) Autolite's XP985. The first two of those are platinums that will perform well for 100K miles, the last one is iridium which will perform well for probably 200K miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx guys! Everyones so helpful and awesome here. Im in the process of switching wires to see if it happens on the other plug just to be for sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I cant see the arc but I can still hear the popping. So obviously its the wires :/ Nothing major thank God!!! Could this cause low idling rpms and at 2000 rpms sputtering and loss of power and could it also be a bad coil in the mix?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Arching of the wire and the popping can cause misfiring with will affect the engine running.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From further inspection theres popping coming from inside my distrubutor cap. Bad rotary button?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts