Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change my spark plugs soon and I was wondering what the best kind is to use. I got a 04 wrangler with a 4.0L if that's any importance.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I replaced mine with the OE NGK's. They seem to work fine. I replaced the coil rail at the same time.
You'll get other opinions I'm sure :wavey:

·
1,110 Posts
You should get champion spark plugs. I gaped them to .035

·
Registered
84 Posts
the NGK's dont foul as easily and wont get torn up if you ever put a high out put ignition system in there.... NGK platniums were all I ran in my race car

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a Jeep service adviser tell me the wranglers are picky about fancy plugs and to ONLY use basic champion plugs. He's had wranglers come into the shop that merely needed the plugs switched to champions in order to resolve the idling and performance issues that the owners were complaining about. Well, thats what he said anyways.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
I believe there are two plugs that are known to have very few problems with the 4.0L being so picky... Champions and Autolites. The specific plug depends on the year of the Jeep (those with a coil rail use a different plug than those with a distributor). Also, with the coil rail, I believe it's recommended that you either run the standard copper tip or a DOUBLE platinum tipped plug and NOT a single platinum tipped plug.

Advantages of a double plat plug over a copper plug is you won't have to change them again for like 75k miles whereas copper tip requires replacement every 25-30k miles or something around there.

Somebody will chime in with the proper part numbers I'm sure...

The copper tip is listed on a label under your hood...for coil rail vehicles...I think the double tip platinum autolite plug is the APP985 (NOT the AP985). Run a search for sure if somebody doesn't confirm here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
good info, thnx

·
Registered
91 Posts
I believe there are two plugs that are known to have very few problems with the 4.0L being so picky... Champions and Autolites. The specific plug depends on the year of the Jeep (those with a coil rail use a different plug than those with a distributor). Also, with the coil rail, I believe it's recommended that you either run the standard copper tip or a DOUBLE platinum tipped plug and NOT a single platinum tipped plug.

Advantages of a double plat plug over a copper plug is you won't have to change them again for like 75k miles whereas copper tip requires replacement every 25-30k miles or something around there.

Somebody will chime in with the proper part numbers I'm sure...

The copper tip is listed on a label under your hood...for coil rail vehicles...I think the double tip platinum autolite plug is the APP985 (NOT the AP985). Run a search for sure if somebody doesn't confirm here.
good info, thnx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts