Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there certain spark plugs i need to buy for my yj? I have an 87 4.2L Inline 6.
And how often should they be changed?

·
Banned
211 Posts
just buy the regular stock pluges i was reading that the stock plugs are wat the engine runs best with because back in the yj years most people just used regular stock plugs so the engines were desined for those plugs and only thoses pluges

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K thanks. So if my jeep starts to like make small skips it means its time to change them right?
by small i mean small the passenger doesnt notice them but since its my jeep and i know how it feels and runs. i feel the skips

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the cap and wires are only about half a year old, should i still change them?

·
Registered
54 Posts
the cap and wires are only about half a year old, should i still change them?
Why did you change the cap, rotor and wires and not the plugs?
I stick to a routine, Cap, rotor and plugs 2 times a year.
Wires once a year.
I don't put a lot of miles on my YJ, although it is my daily driver. Work is only 5 miles away. On the week end I always take her out for a long cruise that seems to always involve a few 2 tracks and some hill climbs;)

All our motors were designed for OEM plugs etc. but, that doesn't mean they won't perform better with aftermarket stuff. I have worked in the automotive for years, and believe me it's less about "Design" and more about best price when it comes to suppliers. Get the good plugs etc. if it makes you feel better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts