Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second post on this forum and still haven't purchased the truck lol.

Will place an order soon for a new Rubicon and I am trying to figure out what budget I need for it including the extras.

I read everything about the 10th edition bumpers and what you can fit into it, but cannot find any reviews on the Spartacus bumpers in terms of fitment, winch, finish, etc...

In terms of look, I love the Spartacus front, but few things worry me:
1- What skidplate should I fit under it? Do you guys think the 10th anniversary skidplate fits it perfectly?
2- What winch fits inside the bumper? The license plate should be on the middle of the bumper covering the hook and whatnot, any actual pictures of that?
3- Rear bumper and Mopar mudguards, how's the fitment?

Thanks
Danny

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm sure the winch / bumper guru's will be around shortly to answer your question... but lets just get this out of the way... Its not a truck. Its a Jeep. :)

Carry on. :wavey:

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Looool, truck... jeep.... its one hell of an awesome machine!
Just pokin at ya! You are gonna love it.

I fought with wiring issues in the dark for two hours last night, and this morning on the drive to work I'm all "Who's daddys girl... yeah... you are!" LOL!

Its a sickness..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First time I fell in love with the wrangler was in 1996 when I went with a bunch of friends on a weekend trip in swamps, forests and mountains. Our YJ (4cyl) held much better than all the rest. The other 6cyl YJ broke a transmission linkage but kept going on the front 2 wheels. The yukon broke down when he hit a big rock whereas the 1977 Dodge developed a crack in its chassis. Those were all 4 SUV's, and virtually the Wranglers made it back.

This will be my first wrangler now, but I am no stranger to Jeep. The first time I owned one was in 1994 and it was a 1992 cherokee limited with ABS and Sunroof as extra options, then a 93 Grand, 2000 Grand, 2004 Grand V8 and now... the beast I always wanted!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Its not a truck. Its a Jeep.
fwiw it is technically a truck...
A 1/4 ton 4x4 utility truck to be exact...
At least according to the military that commissioned the jeep in the first place...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
fwiw it is technically a truck...
A 1/4 ton 4x4 utility truck to be exact...
At least according to the military that commissioned the jeep in the first place...
Its not a truck, nor a car, nor an SUV, its in its own category. Yes maybe technically its considered a truck according to the people who first commissioned it, but it is soooo much more than that. Its that little Jeep with the engine thats too small according to others that is still just chugging along while every other truck is sinking down. Its the Jeep that is sitting on top of the mountain after literally climbing up cliff faces. Its the jeep that gets called when everyone else has sunk their trucks and SUVs and really need to get out because they've been out there for 3 hours. Its a Jeep thing, and that will never change.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Its not a truck, nor a car, nor an SUV, its in its own category. Yes maybe technically its considered a truck according to the people who first commissioned it, but it is soooo much more than that. Its that little Jeep with the engine thats too small according to others that is still just chugging along while every other truck is sinking down. Its the Jeep that is sitting on top of the mountain after literally climbing up cliff faces. Its the jeep that gets called when everyone else has sunk their trucks and SUVs and really need to get out because they've been out there for 3 hours. Its a Jeep thing, and that will never change.
Well summarized BB!!!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Its not a truck
despite being a legend, I am pretty sure it really is a truck...
commonly known as a Jeep, formally as the U.S. Army Truck, 1/4 ton, 4x4 to be exact...

Example a) (PDF) (mostly because I find old user manuals interesting...)
clearly only refers to it as a truck, and not some super magic mystery vehicle...

I guess you are semi correct, or I was semi-wrong... it didn't become a utility truck until the 50's...

oh and as for the on topic part... why go with stock/factory bumpers at all? there are so many cool aftermarket bumpers out there that are probably much cheaper than any of the factory ones?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Apologies to the OP for the utter and complete derailment of the thread...

But I just cant help myself!

SomeWhatLost: I find this very interesting - and I've been doing a little searching here and there while working..

In general, the Military called everything a "truck" back in the 40's, at least all the utility vehicles. What is more important is the tonnage assigned, which is the true designation. Hence, 1/4 ton, deuce and a half, etc...

I have to think context applies here as well - back in the 40's when the first Willy's prototypes were built, there were really only two types of vehicles - Cars and Trucks. And prior to that, most vehicles at the dawn of the modern gasoline engine, were just trucks.

This in itself is interesting... I also have an interest in rail transportation and specifically steam.

Trucks are:
"A chassis or framework-like structure underneath a train to which wheel axles (and, hence, wheels) are attached through bearings."

So - In general, the term truck comes from a general application of the common vernacular (trucks being the accepted framework that motive transport is built upon)... which then was extended to gasoline powered vehicles. Trucks were used to carry items in the cargo area and they included a (usually separate) cab.

On the contrary - Cars were used to carry people, not cargo.

Therefore - the first Jeeps were deemed "Trucks" by the military as a natural extension of the common vernacular - they were designed to carry a load of 600 lb. and be lightweight.. so 1/4 ton Truck.

The name "Jeep" was then added over time (I wont go into the various naming theories) - as Soldiers wanted a way to delineate the specific vehicle.. i.e. "Take the Jeep, not the Deuce".

Of course - This is all just my mish-mash of info pulled from wikipedia, HRJA.org, etc...

In my mind, the Jeep stopped being a "truck" after the 1940's soldiers labelled it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't mind getting the thread hijacked, just someone please assist with the points above.
For 2, I got an answer from RR concerning the winch space available: 24" wide, 6.75" deep and 6.5" from the front of the winch opening to the grille.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Buy a Hard Rock. You'll get the great 10A bumpers PLUS they'll be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I dunno if it just me, but that hard rock bumper always looked like a moustache more than a bumper. It is so thick and lowered that it should be a cartoon character in a Cars movie sequel.

On the other hand, the spartacus tucks very nicely into the fender, without a gap in between, as if it is the one that should have been made for the wrangler less all those curves and small details. But between the two, I lean towards the spartacus. The edges can be removed too, for both front and rear bumpers. Which skidplate fits perfectly there?

Now looking at the rear bumpers,

I like the 10th anniversary better. I think you can still install the OEM mudflaps on it in case you want to. BUT, would it be okay to mix between the two?

I need to know if the finish on the Spartacus is as good as they show in the pictures or it is just a photoshop. What about the thickness of the metal?

No one installed these yet on his jeep?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm not sure about the accessories for the Spartacus, BUT the 10th anniversary rear bumper does accept AEV accessories , like swing out tire, 10g fuel and hi-lift mount,, not sure if that is important to you.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I'm really liking this Quadratec Tactik bumper.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts