Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any pointers for applying raptor liner? I'm going to be doing this project over the weekend. My plan is to remove the sound deadening on Friday and scuff up the tub. Is there any advice or pointers before I just five into this project?

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Wear clothes you don't care about and tape/wrap everything you don't want lined. The spray gets everywhere so cover all your paint. If it gets on your skin it will be there a long time, wear gloves.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wear clothes you don't care about and tape/wrap everything you don't want lined. The spray gets everywhere so cover all your paint. If it gets on your skin it will be there a long time, wear gloves.
I have an old set of coveralls I plan on wearing. I also have a bunch of plastic sheets ready.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's a pain in the butt, isn't it? The sound deadening was the worst part. Good luck!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just finished spraying today.

Tips I found....
1.Use a lot if tape, I missed a few slots and spends an hour cleaning it up.
2. Use a can of bed liner to get the hard to reach areas, aka under the door jams.
3. Have a second person help you. My neighbor pointed out spots I missed and he helped swap bottles when I was getting low.

So I ended up only using 3 bottles for the tub on a jku. I did one layer with 2 bottles then the third bottle I used on all the high traffic areas. I could have used the lay bottle to make it all thicker but I'm going to use it on my fenders next weekend.

I was a little nervous but I'm really happy with the results.
Only cost me $150 for paint and all the prep supplies.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Reviving an old thread. Going to raptor line 2 door JK tub next weekend. What do I do with these holes that are behind driver and passenger side panels? They are full of insulation foam.

Also what size air compressor do I need? I saw it requires 60psi - what CFM do i need for the compressor?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I cut a piece of sheet metal and used JB Weld to attach it. Heat gun and scraper is the easiest way to get the heat shield off. Not sure about compressor requirements.
20200131_212543.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah I had same idea with the sheet metal. I used a paint scraper blade attached to a sawzall to remove the heat shield material and it worked great.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Did you have to primer/paint under the heat insulation?and is that surface rust where they used to go? I no they hold water just not sure if when i remove mine there wont be paint under.
Quite a bit of work but well worth it. View attachment 4435250 View attachment 4435251 View attachment 4435252

Did you have to primer/paint under the heat insulation?and is that surface rust where they used to go? I know they hold water just not sure if when i remove mine there wont be paint under. I have four bottles so hopefully its enough.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Not rust under the mat it was just a different color. I sprayed etching primer per Raptor where I exposed steel during surface prep.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have a compressor, then the Raptor Liner is great stuff... a couple years ago I did an entire Lada Niva in Raptor Liner. This summer I’ll be taking the rust bucket Barricade bumpers off of the JK and will coat them in Raptor Liner. The key is in the prep work, prep all pieces per the instructions (including use of primers and adhesion promoters where needed) and you will get good adherence.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Did you have to primer/paint under the heat insulation?and is that surface rust where they used to go? I no they hold water just not sure if when i remove mine there wont be paint under.

Did you have to primer/paint under the heat insulation?and is that surface rust where they used to go? I know they hold water just not sure if when i remove mine there wont be paint under. I have four bottles so hopefully its enough.
I used 3 tools to remove the sound deadening material: metal paint scraper attached to sawzall, wire wheel and abrasive disc on an angle grinder. Most of it is now down to bare metal. I got a can of the upol primer/etcher for these areas. I also got a can of the upol adhesion promoter. I think this raptor will never come off after that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
After raptor lining has anyone kept the mini trunk cover/lid behind the back seat? I'm thinking of throwing it out and also grinding off the metal retention brackets from the tub.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
After raptor lining has anyone kept the mini trunk cover/lid behind the back seat? I'm thinking of throwing it out and also grinding off the metal retention brackets from the tub.
I kept it, and plan to leave it out, but pit it in for trips with the dogs etc

·
Registered
423 Posts
I left mine. Still a good little storage for stuff you don't need regularly. I left it out for a few months at first then put it back in. Haven't taken it back out again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts