Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the stock speakers really suck. It is not in the budget to replace head unit yet. What speakers are you guys delinking with stock radio and no amp?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Might wanna try replacing the head unit instead of all the speakers. If I remember correctly, the stock headunit doesn't put out much power so that's why the stock speakers sound meh. I upgraded my headunit which had higher output and it made my speakers like twice as loud. I don't feel the need to upgrade my speakers anymore. Maybe a new sub but thats it

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
What are you wanting to achieve with audio upgrades? How much are you intending to spend? Do plans ultimately involve upgrading the head unit (a big part of why audio sucks in the Wrangler) and adding amplifiers one day?

If plans are for speaker upgrades and only speaker upgrades, don't expect too much improvement. Most good aftermarket speakers require more clean power than even the best quality head unit can provide. Depending on your expectations, it may take quite a few upgrade sessions and cost a good amount to get where you want to be. While there certainly are a bunch of affordable drop-in replacement speakers available, they are only as good as the signal you send to them and how much clean power they'll see, and something that works on minimal power might not sound extremely good or be a huge upgrade from stock.

Upgrade with a plan, and a realistic expectation of what is required to get the sound you want- this can save some money down the road if it prevents multiple speaker upgrades along the way.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Which year Jeep do you have

How much do you want to spend

What are your goals with the steeeo? As stated just want to upgrade speakers then done with it or will you someday upgrade the radio?

As someone mentioned the radio is of very poor quality, depending on what Jeep you have simply doing the radio might be all you need. Upgrading speakers can and will help however replacing the radio you will hear a bigger improvement.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Kickers are totally plug and play and do make a difference. Plus they won't break the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-WRANGLER-KICKER-SPEAKER-UPGRADE/dp/B004SUO5QS

When you remove the OEM speakers line the interior of the sound bar with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engin...Boom+Mat&qid=1564860007&s=electronics&sr=1-19

Then get some poly-fil and stuff the speaker cavity. You can find it at hobby lobby for like 3 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Fairfield-FA...rds=Poly+fil&qid=1564860626&s=gateway&sr=8-11

Then install your new Kickers and enjoy better sound for around 100 bucks. The dash speakers are a little more difficult but can be done with the same Kickers. There are some good instructions on the forum. That is next on my mod list!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Kickers are totally plug and play and do make a difference. Plus they won't break the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engin...Boom+Mat&qid=1564860007&s=electronics&sr=1-19

Then get some poly-fil and stuff the speaker cavity. You can find it at hobby lobby for like 3 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Fairfield-FA...rds=Poly+fil&qid=1564860626&s=gateway&sr=8-11

Then install your new Kickers and enjoy better sound for around 100 bucks. The dash speakers are a little more difficult but can be done with the same Kickers. There are some good instructions on the forum. That is next on my mod list!
I noticed 0 difference when doing all of that. Most other people say they did but mine sounded the exact same

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ultimate goal is to have clear crisp sound while traveling down the interstate with the top and doors off. Yes I will end up with a new radio and amp(s) as well just trying to figure out the correct phase in which to do it. Thansk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Since you want to do it all, radio + amp and speakers.... I would start with a radio, save up a while longer to get the radio you want. Then tackle the next step when money allows.

Replacing just the speakers can improve sound however max volume change will be minimal due to power from the oem radio.

There are numerous great speaker brands, really depends on your budget on what it best and your final goals. I have heard the kicker speakers and for me I wasn’t a fan however my goals/expectations are different vs those who buy their speakers.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have been grappling with where to start on this too, doesn't help when you get opinions varying so much. Some say changing speakers first does nothing, others say the difference is night and day. I've decided to wait until I can do the whole thing and do it right, Alpine WR-109 head unit, amp under one seat, sub other the other seat, and all speakers. Whole thing will cost about $3500 -$4000 CDN from what I see when pricing it out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I upgraded everything in my JK - head unit, speakers and added a sub. Replaced the speakers first and my initial impression was that I made a huge mistake on my choice. Sounded horrible. I chose Rockford Fosgate R165-s components.

The next weekend I changed out the RBZ430 for a new Kenwood head unit and it was night and day difference. So to reiterate what others have said in this thread, change the head unit first. You might not need to do anything else if you like the sound.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I did the poly fill in the soundbar first and it helped a little with the stock speakers and 130. Recently upgraded the HU to a pioneer NEX and added a small alpine sub under the drivers seat.

Was impressed how much louder and better the sound was even with stock speakers.

Totally agree with what others have said, update the HU first then speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
922 Posts
I also replaced the head unit first. Went with Pioneer 4200nex. Then, almost a year later got new speakers for front (components) and soundbar (coaxials).
Another 6-8 months later added a 5 channel amp and sub. Sounds really good now and worth the wait.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recently had this done on my 2018 JKU. New Sony radio install with apple car play, four JBL 6 1/2 coaxals and a kicker 8 inch Hideaway under the seat for less than $800. What is your budget may I ask? The head unit is the first item to replace as the factory head unit is horrible and produces no power. Replacing the speakers will only have minimal effect doing that.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Two things, I have a 2 door, smaller cabin to fill with sound. And do not have the Alpine sound system with the sub. Makes a difference in the speakers you buy, 4 ohm vs the 2 ohm.
I went the above route, but I used Polk Audio DB652 speakers. Personal preference. You will also need 6.75 to 6.5 speaker adapters. The speakers in the Wrangler are called 6.5's but the mounting holes are 6.75. I used Scosche SAC656 adapters. Also a set of Metra wiring adapters for no cutting wires. You won't need these last two with the Kickers.

It made a marked difference in the sound clarity which offsets the lack of volume on the stock head unit a bit. You can turn it up louder without the speakers going to sh*t. I plan on adding a powered sub or small amp and sub down the road and maybe changing the head unit. But for now this worked for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also replaced the head unit first. Went with Pioneer 4200nex. Then, almost a year later got new speakers for front (components) and soundbar (coaxials).
Another 6-8 months later added a 5 channel amp and sub. Sounds really good now and worth the wait.
Which brand of amp and sub did you choose?
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I think I am going to do the HU and a sub first and the speakers last. Would that make sense?
Possibly doing a Pioneer MVH-2300NEX or Kenwood DMX7706s and a Kicker Hideaway Sub.
Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
How much do you want to spend and how much power do you want in the end?

When I bought my 2016 JKU last year the first thing I did was revamped the entire stereo front to back. I put in the Alpine X209-WRA, Infinity Kappa 5 amp, Polk Audio speakers, and JL Audio Stealth Box, poly-filled sound bar and front enclosures. Took me a while to get the equalizer and tuning right, but very happy with the sound now. Only complaint with the head unit is that the bluetooth phone volume isn't loud enough when driving.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Which brand of amp and sub did you choose?

Thanks
Pioneer 5 channel amp and pioneer 12" shallow sub in enclosure. I can look up model #s later but the amp was ~210 and sub was ~130 or so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How much do you want to spend and how much power do you want in the end?

When I bought my 2016 JKU last year the first thing I did was revamped the entire stereo front to back. I put in the Alpine X209-WRA, Infinity Kappa 5 amp, Polk Audio speakers, and JL Audio Stealth Box, poly-filled sound bar and front enclosures. Took me a while to get the equalizer and tuning right, but very happy with the sound now. Only complaint with the head unit is that the bluetooth phone volume isn't loud enough when driving.
I need to keep the whole thing under $1,000.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts