Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about anyone who’s spent some time on their speakers. I’ve got the Kicker front pair upgrade in my garage ready to go in, but I want to expand a bit. Does anyone have any thoughts on the other Kicker pods that are available? Comparing between the center pod that goes in front of the shifter, the ones that go under the doors, or possibly the versa-pods installed on my back wheel wells. I’m leaning toward the versa-pods, but I run with a duster sometimes and wonder if they’ll still be useful, or if I should stick with a second pair of speakers in the front. I don’t have an amp, but I’m considering one, and possibly expanding with a sub at a later date. I don’t want to bump, but I like quality sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Get a soundbar, you be amazed the difference when the sound right behind your head.
I have JBL 4x6 in front & JBL 4” in the soundbar, and I can’t imagine how it can be much better... just enough to enjoy the music, but not be obnoxious.

After market soundbars are available, but you can probably find a used YJ sound bar on Craigslist for under $100.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/perfect-sounding-and-fitting-speakers-exist-1487681.html

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a soundbar, you be amazed the difference when the sound right behind your head.

I have JBL 4x6 in front & JBL 4” in the soundbar, and I can’t imagine how it can be much better... just enough to enjoy the music, but not be obnoxious.

After market soundbars are available, but you can probably find a used YJ sound bar on Craigslist for under $100.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/perfect-sounding-and-fitting-speakers-exist-1487681.html

I looked at these, but my spreader bars are long gone and there’s nothing I can attach it to. It be kind of cool if there was someway to attach these these pods to the sports bar though. And not have it look terrible. I can’t use the pods that go above the rearview mirror either, because The Bikini top uses the loop there.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are really cool! I’ve seen them on some boats at our lake. I think our toll bars are a bit too big though. I’m guessing 4-5 inches around. These enclosures only go up to 1 1/2 inches.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I over 6' so the sound bar across the top doesn't work went with the the versa pods on the back wheel wells...works well plus it gives the kids a cup holder..I have the kickers in the dash and I don't run a top or doors half the year its fine..needs a sub and a amp thinking about building a console and putting one in there...stock console is starting to be annoying...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m also trying to decide between amping the entire system, or getting a mono amp just for the sub later. I’ve got a new Sony stereo that pushes 17 Watts, so that isn’t a ton, but may be enough for front and rear speakers. Not quite sure on that yet.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
They make wakeboard speaker pods that fit our roll bar size (2.25”) however most of them hold 6.5” + speaker sizes, I don’t think a typical head unit would power them adequately.

I looked for 4” pods, but all I was able to find were the Kickers... perhaps you will have better luck.

Edit:
You might be able to adapt the Kicker pods with a clamp from Axia Alloys or these

1 - 8 of 8 Posts