Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there folks...finally looking at some rear 6 x 9 speakers for the monster!.....options on the table are kenwood, kicker, rockford, & pioneer.....can any one with experience offer any advice!....will be making my own custom enclosures, but will be mounted inside the roll bar (kiddie crusher) to the fenders!...money is sort of an issue, but good sound is worth the $$$......thanks in advance for the advice!......

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've got my Sony xplod's in the back...BEFORE YOU JUDGE: they came with the car when I bought it and I never would have bought them with my own $$...with that being said, I am happy with the speakers, and I am sure they are dirt cheap at wal mart or somewhere like that. For my subwoofers, I got Kickers. I am very happy with the performance vs. price, so I would expect their speakers to be the same. Also, I have listened to what Pioneer has to offer in a few of my friends jeeps, that seems to give you a good bang for your buck! Alpine is always good, but that can get to be a little pricey IMO. Hope that helps a little bit! :D

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
All Polk audio speakers are marine rated, almost a must for our wranglers. That plus they have the (in my opinion) best quality sound of any of the "Not so expensive" speakers (around $100 for the pair.) Your best bet is to go listen to a few sets at your local car audio store. Everyone hears things differently so my fav might not be the next guys fav. But I can tell you this, I have almost a 0 return rate on these speakers, Infinity is the next best seller. no complaints on either set.

·
Registered
75 Posts
All Polk audio speakers are marine rated, almost a must for our wranglers. That plus they have the (in my opinion) best quality sound of any of the "Not so expensive" speakers (around $100 for the pair.) Your best bet is to go listen to a few sets at your local car audio store. Everyone hears things differently so my fav might not be the next guys fav. But I can tell you this, I have almost a 0 return rate on these speakers, Infinity is the next best seller. no complaints on either set.
I never knew that about Polk speakers...when I go to replace my garbage sonys I will definitely be looking into marine speakers, I'll keep that in mind! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Cant beat it, The MOMO sets are unbelievable although they require an amp to run best. But their entry level db line of speakers are some of the best I have heard. They tend to focus more on vocals than some other speakers which lean more towards the higher end of the hearing spectrum. That gives some of the other brands a tinty sound. Like I said, for me, its polk all the way. Infinity is a close second tho.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cool, very good to know. Speakers aren't in the budget right now, got plenty of more important things to fix first, but when they are I'll be looking into polk. Have you ever shopped at Crutchfield? That's where I've done all my car audio shopping so far and Ive been 100% satisfied each time...just wondering if maybe you've bought some of these speakers from them. If not, where'd you get them?

·
Registered
134 Posts
kickers sound good in my heep, i have two 6x9's in boxes in the back and 61/2's in the speaker bar, just re-routed the dash speakers to the back, bad spot and too small imo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 6X9 polk momo's in boxes on the wheelwells, and 2-10 subs behind the rear seat. when the top is on,the base rattles your brain and with the top off it can be heard 2 blocks away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey there folks...back again!.....weighed all the options, listened to your advice and even went to the local stores and really listened to each of the options in the budget!.....after i made the "call" went to amazon and ordered them up!.....cost less than $90 to get them in my door!.....as far as the enclosures go, it doesn't hurt to work at a wood shop with all the right equipment!....(freebie!).....wiring was somewhat a PITA, but not as bad as i thought!...(even left 3 foot of cable at each end in case i want to swing them out the back end!)....as you can see below, it was Polk all the way!......thought they sounded great in the store compared to all others!....(even the ones out of the budget!).....then i installed them last night and serenaded my neighbors with a beautiful rendition of "bawitdaba" (kid rock, home town hero around these parts!)....holy hell they were loud and very crisp!.....rocked it out on the way to work this morning and by the time i got there it felt like had been to a live concert!....almost too loud!.....(as if there is such a thing!).....just wanted to update the thread and thank you all for the knowledge!......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts