Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner on my 16 JKU upgraded the sound system in the Jeep. Ever since I bought it, if I turn the radio volume below 10 the speakers will cut out completely. The head unit is still on though. Then it will sometimes come back on or if I turn the volume up one or two clicks it will come back on. There is a sub in the back and amplifier under the drive side seat I believe. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the issue here? I am not super familiar with sound upgrades. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
do you know how said speakers were wired in? are they using adapters for the stock harness or did they do some sort of cut and splice? or did they get the Mopar upgrades that would be "factory" on other higher packaged jeeps?

what are the speakers rated at wattage wise and ohm wise? (4 OHM speakers?) to me it sounds like the speakers are not getting enough power from the HU, is your issue happening on one speaker, two speakers or all? need a bit more to try and work with here, thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know how said speakers were wired in? are they using adapters for the stock harness or did they do some sort of cut and splice? or did they get the Mopar upgrades that would be "factory" on other higher packaged jeeps?

what are the speakers rated at wattage wise and ohm wise? (4 OHM speakers?) to me it sounds like the speakers are not getting enough power from the HU, is your issue happening on one speaker, two speakers or all? need a bit more to try and work with here, thanks!
It is all the speakers that are going out. Unfortunately I do not know any other information. It was all done by the previous owner. I may have to take it to car tunes shop and have them take a look.

·
Registered
987 Posts
  1. It is all the speakers that are going out. Unfortunately I do not know any other information. It was all done by the previous owner. I may have to take it to car tunes shop and have them take a look.
    Some amplifiers turn on using a switched trigger wire from an after-market radio while others use sound level to turn on (and some can do either). It seems to me that your amp is hooked up using sound level activation. Look into downloading the amplifiers' manual and see if you can't adjust the turn-on sensitivity so that the amplifier turns on at a lower volume level out of the radio/head unit.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

Speakers don't shut off with low input, they just get quieter.

It is likely the amplifier is using the high-level output from the head... This is sometimes done when you have a head unit that doesn't have a pre-out (low level). If you turn the volume down too far, the amplifier doesn't have enough signal and it will just not amplify anything as it would be too much noise (and not enough signal) being amplified.

That type of amp may have a dial to adjust the input level, which you could dial in to make it more sensitive. You might loose a bit at the high end though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts