Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a new jeep tj. The speakers and radio are not stock. The radio turns on fine, but the speakers do not work. No sound comes out of them at all. Does anyone know what the problem is??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no amp hooked in. I think the stereo has a built in amp. It's a Kenwood stereo so I think it's got an amp.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The front speakers are really simple to get too. I'd check there first to make sure they are actually connected. Then pull out the radio and check the wiring harness. If it's an aftermarket radio, they either did it correctly and used a harness, or who knows what they did and could have just started splicing wires together with electrical tape. Maybe the speaker wires came loose? The radio also isn't hard to pull out to inspect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some newer radios have a feature that disables the internal amp and only sends signal through the pre-amp RCA outputs. If wires are connected with no shorts, I would check that. What is the model of the Kenwood radio?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
So it sounds like the original owner wired up the radio to go through an amp to the speakers, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't just rewire the head unit to use the speaker wires. If it doesn't have the proper wiring harness adapter, you can get one of those pretty cheap. An amp will probably sound better, but in general Kenwood head units sound decent with most putting out 22 watts RMS these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts