Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just hooked up a new amp and sub in my jeep. When ever I step on the break I hear a pop from the speakers, im guessing thats from a bad ground?
I have the ground wire from the amp married up to one of those hooks in the trunk area. I sanded the paint away from all areas and double checked everything and still have the pop. Any idea what else it could be from?

·
Knows a couple things...
48,957 Posts
Powering amplifiers from anywhere but as close to the battery as possible can cause noise issues like static and/or pops. Power it directly from the battery or the 12v input power lug on the power distribution center. No powering things like that from things like the cigarette lighter, random power sources, random fuses, etc. Ground the stereo directly to a good bare metal chassis or tub ground.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I have, the amp is wired straight to the battery terminals and the ground is attached to the body by the little hooks in the truck. The paint on all ends have been sanded down

·
Knows a couple things...
48,957 Posts
You're using an adequate wiring gauge for the power cables? Too small of a power wire and ground wire gauge can make the amp more susceptible to noise. Double-check that ground connection point, some items may look well grounded but may not be in reality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts