Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size speakers are in the dash of the TJ?

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gracias

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
The better alternatibe are 5 1/4 round. You can get adaptor plate from a lot of sources and ebay

·
Registered
973 Posts
They are about a wash honestly. If you buy a good set of 4x6s you will be happy.
Where might he find a good set of 4"x6"s that will fit his Jeep without fabricating his own mount or buying an aftermarket adapter?

All aftermarket 4"x6" speakers mount like this:

Here is a factory TJ 4"x6" next to a 5.25":

Note the top and bottom holes that mount it to the dash.

Here are the 5.25" adapters:
TJ 5.25 Speaker Adapters

I'd be happy to discuss why a 5.25" is acoustically and economically a better choice than a 4"x6" as well. :popcorn:

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are already aftermarket speakers in the dash, blown and didn't know the size, still learning the jeep, I've only had it for 20 days

·
Registered
318 Posts
Apparently with some minor modifications you can stuff some 6x9's in the front. Theres a bunch of write ups on this all over this forum.

I'm thinking about doing that and some 6.25's in the sound bar. Then maybe a small amp and maybe a 10" sub, but that'll come after my front bumper and winch.

·
Registered
973 Posts
He's not, but all his local shops should carry them in stock.....I know that I and all of my competition does around here.
OK, so we agree that he has to run an adapter to make a 4"x6" fit in his dash.

I will assume that you work at an audio shop from your post-- why in your professional opinion is a 5.25" a wash compared to a 4"x6"?

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
First, I didnt mean to step on your toes and from what I can see you make stellar products. I have been in the 12V business my entire life and have run the audio side of our business for going on 18 years. The reason I said what I said is when considering an audio system I look at the big picture. In the case of a jeep, there's nothing anyone can do to make it a perfect capsule for sound reproduction. A convertible itself is a nightmare, but put horrible speaker placement on top of that and its really bad. I think we should be able to agree that the main two things that matter in a coaxial are cone size and tweeter. Over the last 13 or so years, most companies will use the same tweeter throughout their product line category so that's a wash. The cone area of a 4x6 is also larger than a 5.25 but being its oval shaped is about a wash on output. Now, I will agree that you can get a bassass 5.25 that will smoke alot of stuff, but at the pricepoint it demands, is out of 90 percent of jeepers budgets. In a nutshell, running off headunit power or a basic high distortion amp like most people buy the output of a 4x6 or a 5.25 is virtually the same. That being said, a 4x6 is a better choice for most because you can get the adapters locally without having to wait, and the speakers are usually less money. If a guy is going for all out performance, he will undoubtingly go with something else.....but I used 4x6's in mine lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts