Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is asking a lot... from a photo...
Is there anything you guys see on this picture that would send me to Autozone tomorrow to get a new flywheel ($68) as I try to get my Jeep back on the road before the drive-in opens (not gonna happen I am sure, but I have GOALS)?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Personally, for $68 I would just replace it... as long as it isn't glazed it should be fine. I've heard of people using light sand paper to clean them a bit. Don't have it machined

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
It looks fine to me. I personally would clean it up with Simple Green and bolt it into place after lightly sanding any glaze present on its surface with Emory cloth or fine sandpaper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input! I got the new one and rear main seal.
I cannot find any info on how deep to set the pilot bearing? Flush with the back edge of flywheel? even with transmission-side taper? split the difference?
The details I get caught up on!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've never replaced the pilot brng on a Jeep, so don't know for sure but the others I've done were seated all the way in and up against the back of the crank.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Flush with the end of the crank shaft. You can use the clutch alignment tool to seat the bearing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts