Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I may buy a used special edition Wrangler. Do they warrant more money ? If so about how much, 10%,15%etc? I know condition and mileage play an important part in price. Also are the limited/special edition Wranglers built on the Rubicon platform? I live in Florida, the only mountains we have are bridges. I do not plan to go off road. My thought is to go with the sport model with hard top and steel wheels. I'm not a frills type of buyer. K.I.S.S. I may have answered my own question.
Thanks in advance
Charlie

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Some special editions are Sahara-based, and some (like the 10A and Hard Rock) are Rubicon-based. If you are looking at a particular special edition Wrangler, it shouldn't be too hard to find out which model it is based on using Google and forum search features.

In the used market, you'll have to assess the value mostly on condition and mileage rather than a certain edition commanding a premium price solely on the Jeep being a special edition. You can then use something like Kelly Blue Book to see what that particular vehicle is worth in your market and neighbouring markets to haggle up or down from there.

Are there any features you consider must-haves? Any you want to avoid? Is fuel mileage a consideration? (that might narrow things down for you also)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Pretty much what others have said, mileage and condition play the biggest part in used Wranglers. The special edition Wranglers are good only if the edition was built with the options you want, I think we all have our favorites. My two must in a Wrangler are, 3.73 gears and Posi-Loc Rear Axle, not that many used Sports out there with those two options, but all Willys are built with them. There are many other special edition models with those two options included, you just have to do your homework.

trainman

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Guys, I may buy a used special edition Wrangler. Do they warrant more money ? If so about how much, 10%,15%etc? I know condition and mileage play an important part in price. Also are the limited/special edition Wranglers built on the Rubicon platform? I live in Florida, the only mountains we have are bridges. I do not plan to go off road. My thought is to go with the sport model with hard top and steel wheels. I'm not a frills type of buyer. K.I.S.S. I may have answered my own question.
Thanks in advance
Charlie
Fellow Floridian here. I have a Big Bear edition. Basically, it's a sport plus a 3.73 gear ratio (which does make a big difference acceleration-wise and for towing capacity), a bit more aggressive off-road tires than the stock ones, plus it has better interior features (power windows and locks, keyless entry, etc). For me, it's a bit of a less common edition without having to spend the money on the Sahara or Rubicon packages. My JK is my daily driver so I don't need tons of offroad features like the Rubicon, nor do I need a lot of frills like the Sahara, but it has the most-desired add-ons and is comparable in price to the Willy's. I only have 500 miles on it right now (have had it for 3 weeks) and couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Hey Guys, I may buy a used special edition Wrangler. Do they warrant more money ?
No.

They really don't warrant any more money than a similarly equipped non-special edition of the same base model. Because, the difference then boils down to simply colors and stickers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was leaning toward a 2012 COD . I'm not a gamer. I like the rear bumper and the interior. The ones I have looked at have a high retail price and mileage over 50k.
Thanks for all the advice.
Charlie

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I was leaning toward a 2012 COD . I'm not a gamer. I like the rear bumper and the interior. The ones I have looked at have a high retail price and mileage over 50k.
Thanks for all the advice.
Charlie
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/jeep-unveils-2012-wrangler-call-of-duty-122800

That edition may hold some cachet amongst the gamer crowd, which may affect the price. If you aren't set on the other parts of the COD edition (and don't necessarily crave the power dome hood), you could also expand your search to the Backcountry edition (that uses the same AEV bumpers I believe).

https://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-reviews/jeep/2016-jeep-wrangler-backcountry-ar171760.html

If you found a great deal on a Wrangler that ticks all of your preferred options without the bumpers, they can be added- new from an authorized vendor, or as "take-offs" from craigslist, eBay, forum classifieds.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12049_1202_07.htm

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12049_201X_PG.htm

·
Registered
838 Posts
The 2012 CoD/MW3 is a special edition Rubicon.

Here is a list of special editions from this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2...jk-model-year-production-numbers-1944186.html
2009-2016 Jeep Wrangler Special Editions/Packages

2009:
Rocky Mountain Edition Group

2010:
Islander Edition
Wrangler Mountain Edition

2011:
Rocky Mountain Edition Group
Mojave Package
Call of Duty: Black Ops Group
Jeep 70th Anniversary Edition

2012:
Freedom Edition Package
Call of Duty MW3
Arctic Package
Altitude Edition

2013:
Freedom Edition Package
Moab Edition Package
Rubicon 10th Anniversary Edition

2014:
Dragon Edition
Freedom Edition Package
Polar Edition
Altitude Edition
Rubicon X
Willys Wheeler Package

2015:
Rubicon X
Freedom Edition Package
Wrangler X Edition
Altitude Edition
Rubicon Hard Rock Package
Willys Wheeler Package

2016:
Red Rock Limited Edition
Freedom Edition
Backcountry Package
Black Bear Package
Jeep 75th Anniversary Package
Rubicon Hard Rock Package
Willys Wheeler Package

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was willing to pay the "asking price" on a rubicon 10a, last year. It was a bit above the kbb price (36,500, if memory serves), but it was like new, with 6,700 miles on it, and it was the jeep I'd been searching for. I have no regrets.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just got a '17 Smokey Mountain edition. I had a sport before. I didn't like the sport black hardtop and fenders with the sun fading them and trying to keep wax off them. I liked the painted top and fenders. I also liked the power hood wheels and rock rails. I also liked the leather interior. If you like the special edition add ons they're a good deal because you're not paying full price for them. An additional factor is there is a better mark-up for the dealer and you can strike a better out the door price on them. My riding is the same as yours and I just didn't need the Rubicon add ons. The only thing I wish they'd add to more special editions is the 10A bumpers.

·
Premium Member
10,137 Posts
Is the Recon an Edition or Package?

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Is the Recon an Edition or Package?
I think they are all actually packages onto a base model, if you look at the window sticker.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just purchased a 2017 Sahara 75th Anniversary edition yesterday. I bought it because it was a manual tranny! Those puppies are hard to find now! I also love the bronze metal bumpers and interior accents. She looks tough IMO.

Attachments

Reactions: JEMinTN

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I think, with the exception of the Red Rock, and to a lesser extent, the 10th anniversary and the Recon, all Jeep "special" editions, including the hard rock I own, are not at all special. The Recon has a beefed up front axle (over a stock Rubicon), the red rock had mechanical differences (lift), and the 10th anniversary had different springs. Every other special package was just a mish mash of decals and badges and parts Jeep has laying around or can make inexpensively.

Jeep is the "Taco Bell" of the automotive world. They take the same old ingredients, mix them in different ways, and call it something new.

Joe

·
Registered
578 Posts
I just purchased a 2017 Sahara 75th Anniversary edition yesterday. I bought it because it was a manual tranny! Those puppies are hard to find now! I also love the bronze metal bumpers and interior accents. She looks tough IMO.
I hope you keep your 75th in its original condition, I think this is one of the few special edition that could hold its value better than most of the others. Nice choice on vehicles.

trainman

1 - 20 of 36 Posts