Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a phantom clunk in the front end for some time now, only going over speed bumps, but it’s pretty loud and obnoxious. I’ve replaced the Sway Bar links with JKS, and the shop said they found the steering stabilizer mount bolts loose. I asked them about the ball joints and they said they were fine. They lubed and tightened everything and it was fine for a week but then the noise came back.

I checked and checked but can’t find any else loose. Recently put new Rancho RS9000XL shocks on and everything looked good except the driver side tie rod end boot is ruptured(pictured) But there is no movement/slop that I can detect in the tie rod end. I’m thinking I should replace it anyways...

I’ve searched and search the forums but all I see anyone attribute it to is the sway bar links, which I’ve already addressed. Any other ideas to look at?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,518 Posts
if the shop was able to stop the noise by adding lube, you can do the same but do it one part at a time. when the noise stops you've found the loose or defective part

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
have you checked control arm bushings and or TB mounts?
only over speed bumps would suggest to me it's a bound part. taking quite abit of force to make an occurance. like a not quite torqued enough CA or TB bolt. if it was ball joints or steering joints i'd expect the occurrence more often as those parts of the sys are always working.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts