Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there an easy to tell my actual speed (or closer to it than my speedo says) like a quick formula or something. i've got 31's and 3.73's. i know i could get a new speedo gear. but i'm too lazy for that

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Well if you have the stock speedo gear it should be a 36 tooth,(Mine was). I figured mine out by one of those speed signs with the radar gun attached that displays your speed. As far as a formula I don't know it. With 33's my speedo was off about 5 mph if that helps. When I was running 31's it was 1-3 off. Hope it helps some.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks fellas, this is pretty much what i needed to know. i just wanted to be within 5mph of correct. but if it already is thats cool

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Just for future reference, here's how I figured mine out. Drive on the highway that has mile markers every mile. Drive for about 20-30 miles to get a good representation. Compare your trip odometer (which you reset to start) to the actual miles you drove according to the mile markers. the ratio will tell you what percentage you are off by.

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
2018 JLUR on tons and 40's.
6,852 Posts
or you can figure it out by time. It should take you exactly 60 seconds to drive one mile.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
or you can figure it out by time. It should take you exactly 60 seconds to drive one mile.
As long as you are going exactly 60 mph! Using the trip odometer and mile markers you can travel at any speed.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the only problem goin by time is timing yourself that exact, and paying attention to the road and mile markers

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
well i was gonna say you could set the cruise control to exactly sixty and then just hit the button on a stop watch but i don't think YJ's have cruise control

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ya can have a friend clock you on the highway, 2way radios help greatly. Im running 31s and 307s, Im off by 5 at 70.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I would try to find someone that would clock you. My brother in law is a state trooper so I am gonna have him clock me so I know how bad off mine is.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a hand held I can bring home sometime if you need me to. Just let me know a few days ahead. It just plugs into cig. lighter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
wonder if I could just drive over my chrono. Think it'd give me fps?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
J Who is your B-in-law? Is he at post3 B.G.?
He's Brooks he's with the columbia post I think, Metcalfe and Monroe. I am sure you probably know him, he was Glasgow PD before he became a trooper, and he's in the 623rd out of t'ville.

·
Registered
2 Posts
is there an easy to tell my actual speed (or closer to it than my speedo says) like a quick formula or something. i've got 31's and 3.73's. i know i could get a new speedo gear. but i'm too lazy for that
A bit of a math nut here and was curious with my own 31" tires since I was passing everyone. I have a spreadsheet with the difference, but the file is too large to attach. If someone could help me I can provide the difference for sizes 28" - 32" based on 27" being the standard.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts