Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, my speedo back light burnout last night, how do I replace it? how difficult is to get to it? any LED options?

·
Registered
259 Posts
The PO on my recently acquired YJ has LED lights in all the gauges. I really want to dig into it to see what was done to it. It looks killer and is bright and easy to see even aat twilight.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
What year here's a post for earlier models
Xpress said:
$15 sounds like some cheap chinese ones off of feeBay. You need 194 style wedge base bulbs, 10 of them for the first gen 1987-1990 YJ dash.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok bought the bulbs, Part number WLED-RHP5 (Red). I now need to figure out how to replace!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Very easy to do, just pull off the plastic dash bezel (6 screws, or at least there was 6 from the factory) then you just unscrew the 2 screws holding the speedo in. Pull it out carefully, as it has the cable connected to it and may be hard to pull on.

Pop the cable out and you will have access to the 2 bulbs in the rear. They are 194 style bulbs.

·
Registered
787 Posts
no problem replacing.....just remove the gauge cover (about 6 screws hold it to dash) then remove the gauge cluster....remove old lights and install new ones...reassemble in reverse...

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
no problem replacing.....just remove the gauge cover (about 6 screws hold it to dash) then remove the gauge cluster....remove old lights and install new ones...reassemble in reverse...
This. Easy to do on an 89. Just move the speedo out a bit, leave the cable attached, and replace the bulbs. The original bulbs will have a blue tinted rubber type cover on them. You can put that back on the replacement bulb or leave it off like I did. It makes the speedo a little brighter without it. It seemed with it on, even though there are 2 bulbs in it, it was more difficult to see.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Replaced all the bulbs in all the gauges with blue LEDs. Bought them on Superbrightleds.com. They have several choices as far as brightness and colors. Very easy to change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts