Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear fellow TJ owners. My wife and I own two jeeps. A 2018 Willies and a 2003 Rubicon. I am writing this to help other jeep owners.

Our 2003 Rubicon went into a seemingly coma about 2 months ago. The battery 4 years old shorted out a cell. This cause the engine to miss badly and other systems to go into a coma.

I ran my Super Chips diagnostic on it and it indicated I only had 10 Volts and to check the battery. An error code also came up if memory serves I believe it was P1694. So first thing I did was replace the battery.

Error code would not go away so I went to Kenects Auto parts and they confirmed the error code was still there and they could not clear it either.

Took it to Dealer here in Eugene OR Lithia Chrysler Jeep. They saw no ERROR code. Saw the Check engine light on and we had reported the speedometer was not working. They confirmed that much.

They said nothing would show up on error codes so it must be the Cluster. No cluster was available anymore from jeep so they got one from a bone yard. That one did not fix the problem and when they got the old one back from sending it out for repair, the diagnostic / repair place said they could not find anything wrong with it.

Removed my wife's Rubicon from that dealer and paid the diagnostic fee only. $98.00.

Took it to the next town 30 minutes away in Cottage Grove OR. Told the Service MNGR the history. He was eager to give it a try.

Solution: R & R the PCM module (Computer that talks to the Cluster and other perifiral components) and replace it. Hard to find but eventually found a new PCM module to fit the 2003 Rubicon. Got the call today everything is fixed. Check engine light is out and Speedo finally works.

Going to pick it up Saturday and bringing a pile of TIP money. Cost was $1321.

That's my story and I hope this helps someone else with this problem. :pcwhack: :beerdrinking:

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
61,359 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Reactions: JK Willies

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the warm welcome. Pls share this story with other TJ Owners as I am new to the forums in general. :)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
My Rubi had an error code, speedo died and it cut off everytime I slowed down. Speed sensor wire was loose. I plugged it back in and taped it.:)

p.s. Turning the key on and off three times displays the codes.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I have a suspicion it really was not your PCM. It is rare that they go bad. Many dealerships want your money and will replace the most expensive item. My 97 had a speedo issue and the engine would stall out when slowing down. I had the speedometer sensor wired incorrectly. Once that was sorted out its never came back on. Keep a close eye on everything, I wont be surprised that once you pick up the jeep that you will experience problems again in a short while.

Reactions: TheBoogieman

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I have a suspicion it really was not your PCM. It is rare that they go bad. Many dealerships want your money and will replace the most expensive item. My 97 had a speedo issue and the engine would stall out when slowing down. I had the speedometer sensor wired incorrectly. Once that was sorted out its never came back on. Keep a close eye on everything, I wont be surprised that once you pick up the jeep that you will experience problems again in a short while.
I thought my issue was a Rubi thing. Good to know old fashion speedo gears do that too.:)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I thought my issue was a Rubi thing. Good to know old fashion speedo gears do that too.:)

Well, technically it was on my JB supershort SYE which uses the same rubi hall sensor and JBs tone ring:whistling:

Reactions: TheBoogieman

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Well, technically it was on my JB supershort SYE which uses the same rubi hall sensor and JBs tone ring:whistling:
I should have read your sig and known that. Damn JF messed me up with the "fill out your profile" thing.:)

Reactions: tworley
1 - 9 of 9 Posts